12 volt outlet in cockpit

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent & Jane Overbeck

I would like to install some 12 volt outlets in the cockpit.  One to power a GPS/chartplotter backup and another to power  a spotlight or other equipment.  Any suggestions as to just where to put them?

Thanks, Kent

noworries

I put a 12v outlet on the starboard side aft seat, used a hole that was left over from the autohelm 4000 that came with the boat.

I'll admit I haven't wired it up yet though, but other then dragging power to the aft corner it's an easy spot to get to because you can just lift the hatch on the aft seat to wire it up. 

But if I didn't have that hole to fill, I'd probably put it in the larboard cockpit cubby hole, since it would be an easier run to the DC panel.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Jim Hardesty

Kent,
I have one on the port side of the engine instrument pod.  I thought it was stock from the factory.  Took me some time before I figured out that it's switched to the engine on/off dc switch beside the battery switch.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ken Juul

The GPS back up should be easy.  Any exsisting circuit will power it.  Be careful with the spotlight.  Make sure you have enought amps in the circuit to run it.  It would not be good to pop the CB and loose the light and perhaps other nav/engine stuff when you need it most.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Les Luzar

I have 12v power connection mounted on the starboard side aft seat right below my wood trim on my 87. It is right next to my autopilot power connection. You wouldn't even know it was there if you weren't looking.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

efhughes3

Now I'm curious, are there any LED spotlight options these days, that may have a much lower amp load?
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Jim Hardesty

Lots of LED spotlights, most if not all are the rechargeable type.  I like the plug in ones, no batteries to be concerned with.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Kent : You'll get a gazillion openions on where to put cockpit plugs. 

What I want to recommend is the best plug that I've found:

Look for the Dri-Plug, it's an English design and I've had the same ones on my C34 for the past 25 years.  They really work!!!  I also have one in the anchor well that has also lasted that long!

A THOUGHT
Ron, Apache #788

DarthOccam

Quote from: efhughes3 on February 07, 2012, 11:50:33 AM
Now I'm curious, are there any LED spotlight options these days, that may have a much lower amp load?

The January issue of Practical Sailor has a review of LED spotlights, including at least one that plugs into an external power supply. Reading the review, the performance is pretty good and the prices have come down a lot.

Michael 
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Kent & Jane Overbeck

Thanks for all the replies.  Ron is right about the "gazillion" options.  I'll also check out Dri-Plug. My concern now is how to wire it.  It seems easier to go directly to the battery bank (fused of course).  I just need to figure out how to get the wires from there to the back of the boat. Is there an easy way to do this on a 2001 MKII?

pablosgirl

Hi Kent,
I have a Dri-plug that was installed in the aftt side of the port cockpit seat for the wheel mounted autohelm 3k.  So I purchased another male end from the manufacture in England. I bought a 12 v "y" cable that had two female sockets and removed the male plug end and replaced it with the male dry-plug.  The autohelm is on the accessory circuit on the DC panel and the only other thing on this circuit is the sterio, so enough power to handle the spot light.  I use the 12v outlets for the same purpose as you, a small hand held gps and a corded spot light(those battery ones just don't last long enough). Works great!
Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Ken Juul

I have an aversion to run anything other than the bilge pumps right off the battery.  Too easy for something to fail resulting in a dead house bank.  Yes you can add a switch, but then it is something else to remember. 

Getting power from the house side of the battery switch or from an underused switch on the panel is a much better idea.  On a Mk I, I would run the wires back down to the bilge, then aft under the head floor and aft cabin floor and then up to the destination.  Routing into the pedestal is usually tough, but can be done.  Instead here are 4 places that should be easy to route the wires to and convenient to use.  Hopefully one of the MK II owners can reply if this is not easily doable.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

DarthOccam

Quote from: Ken Juul on February 08, 2012, 10:16:17 AM
Hopefully one of the MK II owners can reply if this is not easily doable.

I was in these spaces recently re-routing the coolant overflow tank.   All of those locations are easy to route a cable to.  If you use the port locker, you will have to put a cover over the inside to protect it from items bouncing around in the locker.

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Ron Hill

Kent : I don't know the innerads of  MK II that well, but look at the water line from the aft tank.

You might be able to pass a #14 gage wire thru the holes for that water line?  That way you can go from the aft portion of the hull to under the galley sink.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Kent & Jane Overbeck

I've decided to connect to the alternator and find a close ground. 

I am absolutely amazed at how some of you guys can run wires, etc any where.  I pulled up the floor panel expecting to be able to see some access.  No such luck.  Found 2 5"? holes that didn't show me any thing.  I see how you might get a wire to the bilge from the elec. panel  through some small holes but then I wouldn't know just what to do with them if I could find them.  Do you just use a fish tape and run it all the way back under the head and aft cabin?

I feel like an idiot.

Kent