Loving my C34

Previous topic - Next topic

efhughes3

We finally got around to "christening" LVD this past Saturday, on our watch, and took some friends out sailing. We started out motorsailing in pretty much dead calm conditions until we got past the shadow of Pt. Loma, and got a good westerly breeze. We spun a 180 and sailed back up the bay with decent pressure the rest of the afternoon.

I do need to get a window cut into the headsail, however, as we have a really low foot, making for a very large blind spot. I'll have some telltales put on the headsail at the same time.

No surprises, just a really nice first full afternoon sail.  :clap
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Stu Jackson

Congratulations, Ed.  It never gets old... :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

efhughes3

Thanks Stu. You're right, it doesn't get old. After being somewhat removed from sailing the last 12 years or so, it feels good to be back in the saddle again.
Ed Hughes
SDYC

scotty

Sounds good, Ed.  Lots of luck with the new boat.
Scotty

Les Luzar

Have you thought about having the foot cut higher as opposed to adding a window on your genoa? Seems to me that a window will not solve the problem of poor visibility since there are so many points of sail where a boat could be approaching. Having the foot raised should not affect sailing performance that much and you will gain a lot more visibility this way. Just a thought!
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

efhughes3

I'm going to talk to my sail guy about it. We'll see, thanks.
Ed Hughes
SDYC

Jim Hardesty

One quick and low cost thing to check is the luff length.  Undo the sail tack and see how far you can raise the sail.  If it's enough to help, just make up a pendant for your sail tack.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

efhughes3

No extra luff to speak of, our headsail is a whomper. The foot is pretty low to the deck, although it clears the lifelines fine. It is just a big blindspot from about 10:00-12:00 on s'bd tack and vice versa on port tack.
Ed Hughes
SDYC

Les Luzar

I often thought of having my 135 cut slightly above the Bow Pulpit to improve visibility and it would also keep the headsail from getting dirty from rubbing against the bow pulpit.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Stu Jackson

Both of our jibs are way high off the deck.  Even so, there is a blind spot.  What I do is to change course occasionally just enough to check for traffic ahead.  That should work for whatever jib you have and avoid $$ spent unnecessarily.  Give it a try before you cut a good sail down.  Our ProFurl LCI32 has the long link plates, and we have our pendant on the tack, which raises the foot a bit more than the top of the drum.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

efhughes3

I'm trying to teach my wife how to take the helm, and she needs some work on holding a steady course. She also is not comfortable at this point steering from the low side of the boat and trying to look under the foot. Just trying to make her more comfortable and take the blind spot out.
Ed Hughes
SDYC

Les Luzar

I agree with Stu that regardless of what you do, there will always be some blind spots. It's the nature of sailing. Here is a thought, why not experiment with reefing the head sail and see at what point there is enough visibility for the Admiral. This will give you the chance to test visibility and performance. On really windy days, I often reef my headsail and enjoy the added visibility.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Bill Asbury

Ed, I concur with previous comments suggesting that you shouldn't cut the head sail down or put a window in it.
No one is more concerned about safety at sea than my wife, who over time has become reasonably comfortable
when there are other sailboats, powerboats and containerships in the vicinity.  By working patiently with your wife in
keeping well clear of other boats and hazards over time, she will become more comfortable.  It just takes time.
Take it easy and enjoy the ride!
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

efhughes3

I'm not apt to cut any sails up, but the window would afford a little more visibility with minimal downside. It will certainly make my wife a little more comfortable, and I must admit it will make for some easier sailing for me too. Running up the bay on a busy day will not be fun having to constantly alter course or hang low to peer under the sail for traffic. Sailing in SD winds is not conducive to running with the sail partially furled, except is rare blustery days.

We'll see.
Ed Hughes
SDYC

waterdog

Quote from: efhughes3 on February 08, 2012, 07:00:34 PM
I'm not apt to cut any sails up, but the window would afford a little more visibility with minimal downside. It will certainly make my wife a little more comfortable, and I must admit it will make for some easier sailing for me too. Running up the bay on a busy day will not be fun having to constantly alter course or hang low to peer under the sail for traffic. Sailing in SD winds is not conducive to running with the sail partially furled, except is rare blustery days.

We'll see.
It's not sacred cloth.  Go ahead and try the window.  If you don't like it, you can always go back.  Heck, I cut up a perfectly good spinnaker just so i could have a dragon...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat