Anyone made a back rest for the Cat 34 Nav Station?

Previous topic - Next topic

Yfoiler

Hello everyone!

This is my first post and I already have a "modification" question. (doesn't take long does it?) 
I've narrowed my search for a new boat down to the Catalina 34, (my budget says early Mk I but a keel stepped mast) The problem for me is this; the Catalina 34 has no seat back or back rest at the nav station.  I like the real seat at the nav station on the 36 better...so, what to do?  I've tried searching the forum here but didn't find and solutions to the nav seating.  Most probably don't spend enough time at a nav station to worry about this, but I do.  I'm one of those geeks that loves ham radio. On all my previous boats I've been able to actually sit at the nav station and work the ham radio (cw...Morse code) for hours at a time.  Does anyone know of a modification or such where someone has successfully added a back rest to the 34's nav station?  I was thinking perhaps along the lines of having a portion of the port settee seat back swing out and lock in place to become a temporary back rest for the nav station, and then when not in use swing back against the settee. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this or ideas from anyone that has solved this problem or has any other ideas that may work.

Thanks in advance!

Ted Pounds

I used to have a couple of these for lounging on deck:  http://www.yachtsofstuff.com/userPostings.asp?xID=yachtsofstuff&cexs=capeh6.  They were very comfortable.   The back is supported by the weight of your butt on the seat.  Might be worth a try at the nav-station...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Nothing I've ever heard of (after over a decade on this website), but nothing one can't easily work up:  a back cushion and a brace, hung off the lower lip of the storage shelf behind the seat back; could "live" at the forward end of the port settee when not in use.  You could also sit with your legs inboard using the regular seat back, sidesaddle to the nav station, if your gear was placed on the nav station section facing forward instead of out by the hull.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kevin Henderson

I too have struggled to find a way to support my back when sitting at the nav station.  As previously mentioned I use one of the portable seat backs (got mine at WM).  It still lacks a bit of comfort due to the decreased legroom beneath the desk and the thickness of the cushion.  If I'm planning to sit there awhile I just move out the cushion and place my portable seat in position.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

ozzie

Yfoiler

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies so far.  Dave, that back rest on the C&C 40 looks like a good idea for a design.  I like that. It would also take up very little space when stored. When it's in place it doesn't ruin the look because it kind of looks like a pretty good arm rest for the settee too!    Thanks!

Marty

Kevin Henderson

Marty,
I'm very interested to see what you come up with from the C&C design backrest.  It looks like a great solution.  Please share with us your results.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Yfoil : I've always wanted to take a C36 nav station swing out seat and mount it in my C34.

It just Never bubbled to the top of my list in 24 years, but that is a definite solution.  
Ron, Apache #788

Yfoiler

Ted; Those portable seats supported by you sitting on the bottom part look interesting. But...I think it would be better if you could fasten the front edge of that seat to the lip of the settee (the edge under your knees as you sit at the nav station).  If it locked on to that edge you could REALLY lean back because it couldn't flip up on you. 

Getting some good ideas.... Thanks everyone!!

...And yes, I will share with photos if I figure out something really good.  But first I have to have a boat! LOL.  I'm still in the hunt. 

Marty

lazybone

Wish somebody would figure out how to keep me seated at the chart table while sailing on a starboard tack.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ted Pounds

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677