Battery

Previous topic - Next topic

kevMar

I tried to look up in the forums but could not locate any info, if there is i am sorry..  My batteries have gone dry, most of the ports were empty. I filled them back up and are now charging from the shore power. I also have a solar panel on the boat and as stated a charger. Is it a good idea to have both on or do you all think that it is to much charging going on causing the water to evaporated. I have a 1988 34 catalina Hull 615, 2 house batteries and one starter. Thank you for your insight ....

Stu Jackson

What kind of charger?  Should be no problem keeping both solar and charger on, what size solar panel.  How big are the house batteries in amp hours?

Most likely your charger is the culprit.  Have you checked the voltage on the charger output?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Not scolding, but for the benefit of all the other new owners, checking the water level should be done at least monthly.  All wet cells loose water as part of the charging process.  Hot weather makes it happen quicker, as does staying plugged in (A/C or solar) all the time.  As much as we all love to just come to the boat and go sailing, need to some take time out for basic maintenance.  Set up a monthly reminder in your logbook, smart phone or calendar until it becomes second nature. 

Hope the batteries come back, but probably wise to start shopping for new ones.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

kev : It seems to me that there should be no reason to keep both a shore power charger and solar panel charging at the same time.
Personally, I'd leave the solar panel ON (if the size is approperate and/or you have a regulator) to keep up the batteries while it sits and leave the shore power charger OFF unless you are on the boat and using battery power!

A thought.
Ron, Apache #788

kevMar

I have a Xanyrex true charger 20 amp mutilstage charger, and a prostar -15 solar panel ...    Not scolingbut you are right need to get a log going and check it everytime i go on the boat... good idea about shutting off the shore power but do you think with the frezer going will it keep up with the charge???   

Stu Jackson

Kev, the answer is NO.  The fridge uses 60ah per day, which is well in excess of what your solar panel can produce.

There are two schools of thought on this issue of leaving the fridge on and the battery charger connected:

1.  Don't do it.  The chances of a fire increase with a boat plugged in when you're not there.  The CRITICAL UPGRADES topic has this: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5977.msg43236.html#msg43236

2.  You like things cold when you get there so you run the fridge and battery charger.   Or, as John Nixon suggests in the link above, install a way to do it without using your charger when plugged in.

If you do, you have to check the battery water REGULARLY as Ken mentioned.

If your batteries were way down in water, it's gonna be time to get new ones (or at least pull them off the boat and have them load tested).

Your boat, your choice.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

kev : I have no idea what "precious" items you have in the freezer or how long you keep them there.  

It has always seemed incredable to me that people leave the fridge on for a week or two or + when they are NOT on the boat.  

If your 1st Mate is anything like the many I've met - they will throw out the stuff that has need in that fridge for weeks and not used!!  So why keep it on causing wear on the batteries, fridge and charger - when it gets "heave howed" anyway ???

If you need a col beer on arrival I suggest that you stop by 7-11 on the way to the boat and pick up a 6 pack.  

I guessed you missed my post of a couple of weeks ago.  A friend stayed plugged in with a fridge full of food.  He came back to the boat l;ate on Friday and found the circuit breaker on the Dock tripped.  He also found that his 425 AH bank of golf carts were down by 400 AH - NOT GOOD for the batteries. 

Your boat- your choice - My thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

kevMar

well here is what the manchanic found. i hope i can explain it correctly......There is a regulator mounted on the back of the alternator. there is a orange wire attached to it. what he did was remove the wire, then key the engine switch and put the wire back on .. All engine guages now work!!!!   he said that the regulator does not like it when one starts the engine while the shore power is plugged in. So we shall see if this is indeed the problem when we do an overnighter this weekend. thanks for all your help in this matter.