Boat Name/Graphics Wanted

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Bruner

Hello all, I'm new here, and a new C34 owner, love it!!  It's time to apply our boat's name, hailing port and graphics.  :clap Looking for leads from members who are happy with their boat name/graphics.  Please forward your supplier, recommendations and any advice you may have.  Thanks in advance for your time.  Love this community, Cheers! 
"The future is no place to place your better days"
-Dave Matthews

learjetzz

We chose U.S. Boats (if you're a member) you'll see their ad in your mailings it was easy , and easy to apply , recommend that you do this when you do your annual haul.

Good Luck 

Ron Volk

I used MyBoatSign.com which is part of Golfstreamgear.com Located in Lantana Fl. They were very responsive to my needs.  I wanted a logo of a goose & I went through all their logos with no luck.  They looked into it a came up with other options for me and I found one I liked.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

tonywright

I recommend that you take a photo of the entire side of the hull, square on. Use a simple photoshop "lite" application to import the picture.

Try various fonts, sizes, colors and positioning until you are happy with how the name looks. Figure out what size this scales to in real life.  Then take it to whichever supplier you are happy with (we use the one associated with our local chandlery) and give them the edited photo showing the end result that you want!

Done this twice now, and very happy with the end result each time.

btw the old name comes off with careful application of heat (better a hair dryer than heat gun) and a soft scraper. Polish and buff the hull well before applying the new name (the gelcoat will be paler and shinier under the old name: so if you can, try and use the same space for the new name).

Don't forget the necessary rituals.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

scotty

I also used a small amount of an adhesive remover after I took off the old name.
Scotty

Jim Hardesty

Paul,
I used the local vinyl sign maker.  They were easy to work with, they added some artistic knowledge, and was about the same cost as the catalog places, even with them applying the name.
One more thing. A pet peeve of mine is overly done script/graphics.  I like to be able to read a boat name at 50 yards in rough seas.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roc

I went to a local "Fast Signs" shop.  Gave them the name and font I wanted, along with the overall size for the area on the boat I wanted to cover.  They cut it out in the material used to put graphics on trucks (outdoor use).  They have tons of colors to choose from.  Been on the boat since 2000 and still looks like new.  Came out nice because I have a 'shadowed' look.  Dark blue name with grey shadowing.  Vinyl lettering for the shadow comes in two parts.  First you apply the name.  Then you overlay the shadow.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Juul

I think it depends on the complexity of your design.  A simple name, anyone can do, go with the best deal.  Fancy graphics, pick someone local so you can approve the design on the computer/paper print out before transfer to expensive vinyl.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Paul Bruner

Thanks for the great lead fella's...I decided to head down to a large marina in St Pete last weekend for a refresher docking & "how to anchor in FL" class.  Of course I was distracted by all the boat graphics available for critique.  I agree with Jim, the name must be readable at a distance and there are a good percentage of overly done fonts out there.  I've also found that the simple name is available on every corner sign shop and is price reasonable.  Of course I have to have graphics which automatically propels me to the $500 range (I love to talk prices!!!!).  Appreciate the application techniques.  Hopefully, I'll have a finished product for posting in the next 3 weeks. 
"The future is no place to place your better days"
-Dave Matthews