Garhauer EZ-Glide question

Previous topic - Next topic

noworries

For those of you who upgraded to EZ-Glide, do you leave it rigged on the boat all the time?

Because of the ball bearings on the sliding car I thought I'd eventually risk losing them if I remove it when I'm not there, but then if I leave it on the boat I risk it walking away and would rather not leave it in the sun.

What do you do with yours?  Leave it on or take it off?  I'm in a slip and although I don't hear of much theft they are so shiny and pretty I'd hate for them to walk away.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

tommyt

I leave mine on permanently. In a slip, nothing stolen yet!
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Gary Brockman

I leave the EZ-Glides on my boat as do three other boats on my dock. Taking them off and on each time you use the boat would be a real pain in the ass as it is a bit tricky taking them on and off and there is a risk of making a mistake and losing some/all of the ball bearings each time you install or take them off. Unless you have a real theft problem at your marina, I wouldn't worry about leaving them on the boat.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Ken Juul

For those scratching their heads....he is asking about removing adjustable genoa track cars.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

noworries

Do you cover them?  Was also concerned about leaving them out in the sun.  They are just so shiny and smooth compared to the rest of my rigging I'm going to baby them for a while.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Stu Jackson

One way to deal with that is to shine up the rest of what you have. :D 

www.spotlessstainless.com or Flitz or Wichard.  There are hundreds of cleaners for stainless.  Barkeepers Friend. 

Take 'em one at a time, it's like eating an elephant. :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : Any of the ball bearing cars & traveler that come from Garhauer that come on a small piece of track, will NOT have captive bearings!! 
If (for what ever the reason) you need to remove that Garhauer car - it must be slid onto a piece of like track or you'll have ball bearing all over the place!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Clay Greene

I leave them on because of the difficulty of removing.  Anyone who tries to steal one is going to end up with ball bearings all over the place.  Having to repack them is almost punishment enough for the theft. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin