Ray Marine wheel pilot

Previous topic - Next topic

kevMar

I was washing the boat and came to the whell pilot and when i went to clean around the area all this black stuff came out when i unpluged it... any ideas ???? 

Ken Juul

Need a few more of a details.  What model of wheel pilot?  Which part are you talking about: the drive wheel, motor, control head? What did you unplug?  Was the black stuff liquid or solid?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ralph Masters

Do you ever use the wheel pilot??  If not, ignore it.  If it was a major part of your sail plan, then you might want to have an electronics guy look at it.  I use mine to look the wheel in place when I'm adjusting the sails while single handing.  Works great for that.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

kevMar

i unpluged the motor that drives the wheel and the black stuff came out .. i think it may be a power not oil

kevMar

Ken Juul

Does the autopilot work? 

If I understand correctly, you just unplugged the power cord from the back of the motor.  What is the condition of the end of the plug?  What is the condition of the end of the motor?  How much black stuff came out?  It is supposed to be a sealed unit with the cord installed so anything that came out is from inside the motor.  Is the motor case cracked allowing dust/residue from the motor brushes to come out?

This one has me stumped.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

kevMar

I will check the casing on the wheel drive motor... i would say alot of dust did come out . but with the water it may have made it look worse than what it is...  When i was washing the area around the motor i noticed some black water ,, i  then unpluged the cord from the mwheel motor is when i really notice it .. It may just be the bushiong dust like a cars brake dust... But i wil look at the motor to see if there is any cracks  thank you

Ken Juul

It is very common for dust, belt wear, and bearing wheel wear, etc to stay inside the ring.  It could be that when unplugged the the cord you seperated the case enough for it to all run out.  The manual says the ring assembly should be cleaned with water often.  May not have a problem at all.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA