Pressure Alchohal Stove

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

Now that I have nearly all the little things fixed on Ciao Bella, fuel tank leak, rotten fuel hose, and can turn my attention to creature comforts, does any one have information on the original pressure alcohol stove that came with the boats back in 87. Is any one still operation theirs?? I'm thinking of just replacing it with a non pressure stove but could use a tech manual to read over first before I make that move.  I am not sure about replacing it with propane, where is the propane locker vented and how is it vented if I opt to go that route.  Any advice and or photos to show where and how the propane locker fits and is vented would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph and Ann Marie
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ralph :  Your C34 came out of the factory with the stove options of : Propane / CNG / or none.  I believe that alcohol was an option installed by a PO.

There are some pictures in Projects, but not a write up or pictures of a complete installation.

My best advice is to find a MK I C34 near you so you can see how it's installed - first hand. 
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Run fast, very fast from the Pressure Alcohol stove. I had one on my C-27 and always had flare ups etc. Switched it to the non-pressure style. Much happier with that style.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ralph Masters

That little voice in the back of my head told me this was not going to be one of those "5 minute jobs"  Thanks guys.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

scotty

I much prefer Propane or CNG to alcohol, because of flair-ups.  Propane is easy to get, but is heavier than air, so it presents particular safety issues.  CNG is lighter than air, so presents different safety issues.  CNG, however, is more difficult to find.  I have CNG on my boat.  Because I sail in an area where I can easily fill my tanks, it works for me.
Scotty

Kevin Henderson

Ralph, I have CNG on Pau Hana and will be happy to show you the layout.
I have not yet filled it but there seems to be reasonable availability here in San Diego.  I had thought about changing to Propane but I really don't want to fuss with an installation into the aft lazzerette and not have to worry about venting the heavier than air fumes.  There is however, a much wider availability and support for propane. 
I guess I'm just a holdout for the CNG  8)
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ralph Masters

Kevin,
Let me start by saying Happy Birthday.
With the CNG you don't need a special vented storage locker??  How about the electric on/off switch??  I'll have to pop in this week end and see your setup.
Take care.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ted Pounds

Ralph,
That's correct, no sealed, vented locker and no solenoid switch.  CNG comes compressed in cylinders just like SCUBA tanks (but don't try to dive with it  :shock:).  There is a manual valve on the tank that should be turned off after each use.  When transporting CNG cylinders one needs to use the same care as transporting SCUBA tanks.  One difference that I didn't see mentioned was that propane has much more energy natural gas.  So propane stoves burn hotter and cook faster.  I always have to adjust my cooking when I switch from my natural gas grill here in Illinois to my propane grill at our place in Maine. Otherwise I end up turning the food into charcoal on the propane grill.   :?
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

scotty

I have a solenoid on my CNG system.  It's a good back up to the stove controls.  I like the heat of the CNG (it's like home) especially compared to alcohol.
Scotty