Replacing bilge pump hoses

Previous topic - Next topic

David Baer

I need to replace the bilge pump hose on my 1987 34.  Unless I can find a small child who can handle a screwdriver it looks like my best bet is to disconnect the aft water tank, move it to one side and crawl back to the thru hull.
Any better ideas?
Thanks
1987 Hull # 474

Stu Jackson

David, is there the possibility that you can use the old hose as a "snake" to pull the new hose through (from whichever end you choose)?  It may not require removing the aft tank.  You could also choose to route it differently than it is now, just get from Point A to Point B, bilge to thru hull at the transom. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

David : You didn't say, but I assume you are replacing the electric bilge pump hose?

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering why you want to replace it as my factory installation is 1 1/8" stiff heavy black hose.  Maybe a severe cut? or other damage?

This past spring I replaced the electric bilge pump thru hull in the transom.  I just split the thru hull so I could remove the pieces from the outside (after I loosened the hose clap on the inside).  I installed/caulked the new thru hull and found someone with a longer arm than mine to reconnect the hose clamp.  A heat gun was a big help to soften that hose for dis/reconnecting.

Back to your problem, I believe that if you really need to replace the entire hose that removing the aft water tank might make it much easier.  Then you can attach the new hose to the old one (thru the aft lazerette) at the transom and maybe pull the new one thru.  This will probably be a couple of peoples task to help you pull the very stuff hose thru.
I assume that your hose is routed like mine - bilge, around engine by raw water thru hull under head sink, next to muffler on hull, under aft water tank, to thru hull in transom.  That's why I mention a couple of people to help pull the new one thru. 
If you remove/move the aft water tank you might want to replace your 2 scupper hoses at the same time.

I don't like splices in hoses, but this might be an option, depending on why you want/need to change it?

Anyway, a few thoughts.  Good Luck
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

I've installed new hose for a second electric bilge pump.   There was no need to remove the water tank.   If you remove the propane locker (if you have one) and possibly the shelf it fits on, you can drop right down into the locker and feed hose through with ease.  You'll need to access under the aft bunk.   Feeding underneath the water tank is quite easy.    Have a good look at your scupper and exhaust hoses while you are down there.

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat