Trucking a C34

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Young

I am getting ready to truck DarBay from San Carlos Mexico to San Diego.
I am looking for a do to list that will get the boat prepared to make the trip.
Questions like

Fuel Tanks full or empty?
Water Tanks full or empty?
Leave anchors in locker or store them below.
Dodger down?
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

Stu.   That's not nice.   

Dodger off.   Bimini Off.  Tie the rails in down below.   Be sure to pad anything that will rub on anything.  A boom rubbing on your floor will rub through a layer of veneer in no time.  Bubble wrap and duct tape are your friends.

Strip everything off the deck that doesn't need to be there.   The end of a loose line or unsecured lifeline gate can do a lot of damage.   

Check the height of the rail over the binnacle.    I had to remove mine. 

Tanks?   They say empty, but it isn't the end of the world if you have a 1/4 tank of diesel.   

Cover your compass.  Mine was uncovered for two weeks in the Guaymas sun and went from slightly crazed to completely cracked with all the fluid gone. 

Tape the covers on your winches.

Furler goes inside your mast.  Bubble wrap the whole thing.  Old towels, blankets, and duct tape are your friends.

Wax the hull. 

Remove the cowels.  Tape the mushrooms. 

Anchors and outboards can go in lockers.   Check to make sure things won't rub. 

Take great pains to put an expensive combination padlock on the companion way with the combination in the hands of the trucker.   Also put the combination in an envelop taped to the companionway that says "Customs".   Marvel when they cut your padlock off with hydraulic bolt cutters anyway. 

I had no damage (other than the padlock and compass) and my trucking experience was completely trouble free.   I'm sure yours will be the same. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Brad : Heed Steve's advice. 

Secure everything, I say that after moving household goods 26 times in the military + now.  Cover everything, but if it can flap and/or slap - it will also chaff !!

I'd empty the water tanks as they have no baffles and they are easy to empty.  On the diesel, I'd guess that who ever regulates interstate shipments, have regulations that dictate what needs to be done.

Just remember that the more padding that is used the better your shipment will arrive in the same shape that it departed. 

Watch them pack!!   So they don't do stupid things like - ie.  a friend had his washer crated for shipment, but the guys that built the crate used nails that were longer than the thickness of the wood!!!!!

Good Luck with your move!! 
Ron, Apache #788