Boom Height

Previous topic - Next topic

burner

Ok, I've just had delivered a 1988 model to my freshwater lake.  I noticed on the sea trial that the end of the boom is extremely low in the cockpit, maybe 5'6" from the floor.  It has to be dropped to this height when the main is raised to the top of the mast in order to get the main smooth.  This prevents a bimini of any size to be installed and is a little dangerous.  The broker called this arrangement "very factory". My question is this - will I have to have my mainsail recut to resolve this or am I overlooking something very elementary?

Tom Glennon

Steve:

I have a "new" 87 and the boom height when the main is raised is quite high... plenty of room for the bimini to be up while sailing..... sounds to me like your main might be too large.... check specs with your sailmaker.

Regards,

Tom on Buzzards Bay
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

dave davis

Steve, there was a time when the racing community started to use what was called drooping booms and lots of sail makers got into this fad. It's not popular anymore. I wonder if the prior owner was into racing? Our C34 National Rules do not cover this subject very well. The only thing they say about the Mainsail is " The mainsail shall fit the standard configuration of the manufacturers mast and boom". This is the first time that this has come up and maybe our Class Rules should be changed.  :confused:
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

bjmansfield

Steve:

Our '91 with the factory mainsail has the same "problem" and I was told the same thing. You could not trim the sail for closehaul unless everyone in the cockpit wore a safety helment.
 The temporary solution? we use if that is the word is to attach the halyard to the aft hole in the head of the mainsail and hoist the main really taught.  This gets the boom end up over 6' anyway and out of guillotine mode.  However, easing the main in light air is out of the question as the end of the boom drops way to low.

As to the bimini, the front of our bimini ends behind the aft end of the boom.  A removeable panel zips to the aft edge of the dodger and the front of the bimini. WE really like this dodger / bimini setup.  When we bought the boat it had a full length, full height bimini with a full wrap-around "windshield" and you could not trim the main properly with this setup.

As soon as I win the lottery and order a new mainsail, this problem will be resolved once and for all.

Jack

burner

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I guess I'm left with three options, two of which will cost me money.  New/used mainsail, get this mainsail recut and resewn or live with it.   Oh well, it's only money...... :rolleyes:

JIM BRENER 1987 #504 "WI

I have the same situtation with an origional main sail. A sailmaker gave it a temporary fix by securing the flating reef cringle to the booom. He used the lower reef line but I replaced it with a short line to secure it to the boom so I would have two reef points. That and the adjustable topping lift from the Dutchman solved the problem until a new main is purchased. I don't race so what ever am giving up is better than a knock on the head.

Jim Brener
Wind Spirit #504

Bill

Steve

You have one other option that is not as expensive as purchasing a new sail.  There is a company in PA, called SailCare.  They refurbish sails.  The sail comes back crisp and looks like new.  My experience and others I know is that the heating process of putting resign back in the sail also causes it to shrink.  THAT should raise you boom some!

jwwarwick

Your mainsail has stretched. I had the same problem on my 89C34 w/ original main. I took it to my local sailmaker who recut it back to proper shape. This raised the boom about 16". He also removed the boltrope at the leading edge of the sail which was creating a "bag" in the sail. All this for about $275. The boat sails 100% better. I can point higher, it sails noticably faster, it does not lose steerage in a gust, less weather helm, not as tender and sails flatter. It was a huge difference for $275. Try it or buy a new main. It is well worth it if the material is still strong and not rotten.

John Warwick