Door Latch Blues

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveLyle

This is really wierd.

We've owned SB for 10 months or so.  For the longest time I couldn't figure out why the aft cabin door didn't close as well as the head door.  Just must be a poor fit, but with all the other projects it wasn't high on my priority list.  

After killing several evenings at the boat working to get the shower back in order (whole separate post there) I thought I'd relax by taking a look at the aft cabin door problem.

I don't know why I didn't notice this sooner, but someone, presumably the factory because I don't know why the PO would have changed it out, installed the wrong model of latch.  The beveled 'bolt' of the latch should be facing the striker, so that as you close the door the striker pushes the bolt back.  But in this latch, the bolt bevel is reversed - you must turn the know to retract the bolt, then close the door, then release the knob.

When I look in the West Marine catalog, sure enough Perko makes two versions of this latch (after 16 years!) - a "Regulaar Bevel with Box Strike", and a "Reverse Bevel ith Flush Strike".  I took the latch apart thinking I could just reverse the bolt, but no luck, the two sides are just a bit different enough so that won't work.

How in the heck did they end up putting the wrong latch on the door?  And why did the PO put up with it for 16 years?  Maybe the answer to the latter is that the correct latch is $52.99?  

Well, at least I know that if I spring for the right one (and I probably will), it should last a long time.  Rats.

bjmansfield

Steve:

the latch on our head door broke (one of the "ears" on the same piece you are talking about broke off) when wife was in the shower.  had to hand her a screwdriver through the hatch and give her guidance on removing the latch so she could get out. she was not amused as the queen would say...  

After the sticker shock of seeing what a latch costs, i sent an e-mail to Perko describing the problem and requesting info on ordering the part.  a couple of days later the part arrived in the mail..  gratis...
Very good customer service me thinks. Suggest you e-mail them and see what happens.

Certainly beats buying the whole latch.

Jack