Open to suggestions please comment

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanReed

My wife and I are considering purchase of a Catalina 34....1988-1990.

Here is some basic information on our situation:

We are based out of Port Charlotte, FL.

We have 2 teens.

I grew up on the water and have been in...around...and even sank...a number of power boats in my life from a jon boat to a Hatt..but my wife and I both have had a longing to give up the power....to enjoy a more cleaner...more rewarding...way of the boating lifestyle....We are prepared to invest more than money...but something more dear to us...our time into this new passion....

All four of us will be taking the ASA courses.  The teens will be taking ASA 101 & 103

My Wife and I will be taking 101, 103-108, 118 and 119 along the way....

We plan to use the boat in a few ways:
1.   Short trips around our area with overnight stays and weekend getaways.
2.   Longer trips as we feel more comfortable. The more we feel comfortable the farther we will go.  The point here is gaining the experience as we go through the ASA Program
3.   Hanging out in the marina or just outside to enjoy the boat....each other....and life.
4.   As life goes on (teens in college)....we would like to spend more time on the water..."an almost" live aboard situation...

I plan on keeping the boat....for as long as I plan on keeping my wife....so...just like my wife...I would like to make sure I pick out the right lady....

I have looked at a number of makes and models....and I keep coming back to the Catalina....

Can some of you more weathered sailors out there give me...as best as you can...some unbiased pros and cons for going with the Catalina 34?

If any of you have went through the ASA program...please let me know your thoughts as well.

Stu Jackson

Welcome.

Try Why we are C34 owners, here:  http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html

This is old stuff, but still true.

Many of our owners have had their boats for over 20 years.  They're really "keepers."

There are only one or two other websites as good as this one (C25, C36).

We know our stuff and share it.

You'll love the boat.

Have you seen this?  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5648.0.html

Go buy that boat.  It'll be the BEST you'll find.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailaway

Catalina 34 have a great lay out. The best feature is the head aft. I have owned other boats with the head  forward or in the vee berth. In the middle of the night it offers more privacy. I have owned my 34 for six years and have not found another I would trade it for. I go to boat shows and come home glad I own a 34 catalina. Charlie

Stu Jackson

How could I forget? :cry4`

Biggest V berth afloat in its size range.

Plus ya get a garage in the aft cabin.  My apologies to those of you who still live in the aft cabin.

Sean, do a search on "garage" and you'll find lots of humorous discussions. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

pablosgirl

Hi Sean,

My wife and I own a 1988 MK I model.  We have owned the boat for 18 months and can't imagine of ever selling her.  We bought her last year as a hurricane Ike salvage boat and restored her to her former glory.  From our experience in repairing her, this is one well built boat!  The MK I model is one of the best sailing boats I have ever sailed,  Once the main and jib have been set properly for any wind under 20KTS, I can lock the wheel with the brake and she will track a straight coarse for over half a mile before requiring a coarse correction. I have been racing and cruising sailboats for over 38 years and I have found the c34 to be one of the best designed boats out there.  The c34  lends itself to short handed sailing with all the halyards and main sheet lead to the cockpit.  You can easily single hand the boat in all but the worst of conditions.  While the boat cannot be classified as a blue water cruiser, many have sailed her to far places.  This is an interesting thread to read on ocean crossing http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5667.0.html

Also, the interior is very well laid out and maximizes the available space.  The boat feels much larger bellow than a 34 ft boat.  It will sleep seven!  The head aft, makes it much easier to use the facilities in heavy seas and frees up space forward for the v-berth.  We made fitted sheets for the v-berth cushions and started with a queen set as the raw materials.  The galley is well laid out with double deep sinks and range/stove model I have seen used on up to 45 ft boats.  My wife and I have four children between 16 and 23 and we find the boat to be big enough for all of us but still easy to sail with just two.

In the years ahead, my wife and I plan to cruse the boat once our youngest is out of HS and off to collage. We have made several weekend trips with great success and can not wait to do longer ones.

I think that your plan is solid and you should run with it!

Stu gave you a link to a great C34 in FL at a even greater price!  He is practically selling the boat for the cost of the upgrades he has made to the boat.

I hope this helps.  Looking forward to having you and your family join our community!

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

RV61

Sean,
I have had Interlude for 7 years and she is an 86 MK1. Layout as mentioned is best out there for a boat her size. Sleeping arrangements should suit your family well. As a said boat handles well under sail. The association web site has helped me learn the boat and has saved me big  repair/ maint $$$$ as I found many times to get it done right you must do it yourself and this site has the info and support you need . Only thing I would change if buying again and had the $$$ I would like to have a newer 34 model MKII or MKIII with the larger engine and walk thru transom. On last thought is Fin vs Wing Keel. Take a look at the water you want to sail. If shallow I would go with with wing if enough water I would prefer Fin.
Good luck on your search and hope to see you back.
rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Indian Falls

I've had mine 1 year.  I really like it.  I never sailed anything but a sunfish before.  It's easy to handle and easy to work on with help from this forum.  It's not a racer but the performance is respectable even with my blown out, 20year old sails.  It's perfect for 2 and with some patience can handle 2 teens... (they won't be there long any way ) 

YOU WON'T FIND ANY UNBIASED OPINIONS IN HERE!  LOL!

Best of luck!
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stewartn

Spent some time in the Port Charlotte, Charlotte Harbor, Capitiva, Pine Island Sound waters. The C34 is great and will be great for you and yours. One caution. Buy one with a shoal draft. Your water gets pretty thin in places. You don't don't want to be digging furrows with a 6' draft.
Rgds,
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Ted Pounds

When you're ready to buy Mike Vaccaro has a nice '88 for sale over in Niceville, FL.  See: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5648.0.html.   Also see:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5215.0.html.   I don't think you can find a better boat in the 34 foot range than the C34.  And Mike's boat looks like a great deal!  :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

paule

Sean,

Where are you in Port Charolette FL.?
We just moved here a year ago and keep our C34 in Gasparilla Marina. Trying to get use to the sailing area from moving the boat from NJ.
So far good sailing, just trying to get use to the long mototering to the harbor seems like this is the norm down here. 8)

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Lance Jones

Sean,
I'll echo what the others have said --- with out a doubt, the best boat out there! We have a super C-34 Mk I. However, IF I were to do it all over, I would opt for the MK I.5 or a Mk II with the walk through transom. Also, the MK II is a wee bit more beamy in the stern which allows more room in the cockpit. Get the most C-34 you can afford, it'll be well worth the price.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

SeanReed

Thank you everyone for your warm reception and sound comments....

Michael Shaner

Sean...I'd wager you'll be hard pressed to find a better maintained, upgraded or mechanically sound MK 1 C34 on the market than Mr. Vaccaro's...Mike has been the C34 Tech Editor for quite some time. If it was a worthy issue and he didn't do it to his boat, somebody else did, he documented / published it and then I bet he did it to his boat, after finding a better way to do it!

I've been chasing his upgrades and maintenance for a while now...and I can't catch up for nuthin'!! (but everyone can aspire and I haven't given up hope... :D)...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Bill Asbury

Sean, I hope you took a close look at Mike Vaccaro's c34 for sale info including pix.  His '88 C34 'Spirit' is just up the coast a ways from you at an attractive price and should at the very least be worth your while to take an in-person look.
Best wishes,
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

gmcop1

My wife and I bought a '92 last fall. We lived aboard at Fisherman's Village last winter (we are from the Buffalo area). Great boat, we made the right decision. I have been a Catalina guy for 20 years, currently have an '89 30' up North. Come see us in January at dock # D2. Hope to do some Bahamas cruising this winter.
Gary and Judy Coppola