putting on barrel zinc anodes

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

While scraping the prop last week I saw my zincs were just gone from the prop shaft.  I have an electric Hooka so thought this will be easy. I went to the store and bought 2 zinc barrels to put on. My canal is so dirty now that the rainy season is here I thought I would just go out into the bay where the water is cleaner and just dive under and screw them on. Now I can hold my breath for a minute just standing here and i was on the college swim team so I assumed this would be a piece of cake. Not so. After several tries in the somewhat clearer water, (still not really clear) I dropped one of the zinc halves. I just could not hold my breath long enough to get down , set the zinc, then find the hole and screw it in. Is there some secret to this that can make these easier to put on? I mean like do they snap them on with velcrow first or what?. Just thought maybe someone here might have found an easier way.

Ken Heyman

Terry,

One method that will definitely work is to hire a 21 year old pearl diver.
Perhaps a bottom cleaning service could get this done for you. I have made it a policy that I don't go up the mast nor dive under the boat unless my life depends on it. I zinc that is the safest approach

Good luck,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ken Juul

Terry,
I'm confused. If you have a Hooka why were you holding your breath?  Or do you mean you have one but didn't use it.

I've been a recreational diver for years.  I tried to clean my prop/shaft/boat bottom once. Working under water is entirey different than sport diving.  Even clear water becomes cloudy fast.  I don't mind giving my prop a mid summer scrub, but the big jobs are going to a diver or the boat is coming out of the water.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Terry Forshier

ok, yes I have an electric hooka but did not think I would need to use it for this job. I have to take that and the Honda 2000 on board to hook it all up and that is what I should have done. I thought the clearer water would be worth the try just free diving. Afraid not. As for me, I am a farm boy, a former scout executive /wilderness trained/ outdoor person that at 66 thinks he can still do whatever wants. As long as I can still do things unafraid i will try. I even went half way up the mast this year. I hated that but did it.
I am not knocking those who hire these thigs done but for me I wish to be as self reliant as I can be.

Terry Forshier

final report. I hooked up the hooka and had the zinc on in 3 or 4 minutes. Guess it was just the fact of holding my breath that made it so difficult. that and the fact that in that bay a few years ago i watched a huge shark hit about a  5 foot tarpon and drive him clear out of the water before having his lunch on him. It makes my heart race pretty fast when i dive under the boat in there now. I put the zinc on with the boat in the canal behind the house.