Fixed Window Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

karista

My aft portside fixed window needs to be replaced. Called Catalina and was told they don't have the pattern anymore to make one and of course don't stock any windows. They could not even tell me the color of tint used on the fixed windows. It appears their California operation is quickly shutting down. The Largo site was helpful but since the Catalina 34 was not made there they have no pattern or glass spec's.
I will make a pattern myself but need to know the tint color used on 1990 era boats. Also are the edges beveled? What is the glass thickness?
I can't take the existing cracked unit off until I have a new one made.
Interesting ,that Cruising Concepts and CatalinaOwners store have the pattern and sell the windows, yet the factory that built these boats does not! Unfortunately they only sell the complete set of four.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Jeff Kaplan

bernd, i'm assuming that your boat is in the water and that is why you can't take the one out till you get a new one. why don't you remove one, cover the hole with plastic in and out, taped well, and bring the port to an area plastics company and let them match the color, as close as possible, use the old one as the template and yes, they are beveled, which the company will do. i replaced all the fixed ports a few seasons ago, boat was out of the water, though. brought everything to an local plastics company and came home with all new, perfectly cut and beveled and screw hole tapped,  tinted ports. when you replace them all, the tint is up to you. my # is listed on the board, you can call me to go over removal proceedures if you want. good luck...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ed Shankle

I've got to replace my fixed port window, starboard side furthest aft. Spoke with Select Plastics yesterday and they want the old one to make a template. Said that they have experienced some variation in the dimensions across supposedly templated ports, so feel that it is safer to work the one being replaced.
Unfortunately, lead time is 2-3 weeks, due to this being the busy season for them. I was still planning to send it to them, as I've used them before and their work is great. But I'm curious who you used Jeff, it might be more convenient for me.

thanks,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Jeff Kaplan

ed, i used modern plastics on pulasky street in peabody, their now called webster industries at #58 pulaski. 978-532-2000. call first to still see if they still do work for individuals, modern was going to just deal wholesale a few years ago. if not, they will direct you to an area shop. spring is in the air. uncovered last weekend, work starts sat+ sun., regardless of the weather. i hear rain...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Clay Greene

I am in the middle of this process myself.  We took the old window off but it came off in pieces because the plexiglass was weaker than the bedding compound that held it to the surrounding fiberglass.  As my wife commented, the screws must just be there to hold the window in place while the bedding compound sets.  We taped the plexiglass together and sent it to Catalina in Florida.  It took them the better part of a month to have the window cut, which I just received tonight (without screw holes drilled  :cry4`).  We're going to go and install it tomorrow night.  We had the benefit of being under our winter cover while the window was off so we had the port covered in plastic. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Clay Greene

Send me an e-mail at greenesail at sbcglobal dot net if you want a copy of the installation instructions I received from Catalina.  I tried to post them here but it would not upload because the file was too large.  There also are instructions elsewhere on the website but these have some differences.

karista

Quote from: claygr on April 13, 2010, 07:47:21 PM
I am in the middle of this process myself.  We took the old window off but it came off in pieces because the Plexiglas was weaker than the bedding compound that held it to the surrounding fiberglass.  As my wife commented, the screws must just be there to hold the window in place while the bedding compound sets.  We taped the Plexiglas together and sent it to Catalina in Florida.  It took them the better part of a month to have the window cut, which I just received tonight (without screw holes drilled :cry4`).  We're going to go and install it tomorrow night.  We had the benefit of being under our winter cover while the window was off so we had the port covered in plastic. 

I made a pattern of my window and took it to the Largo Catalina Factory to have a new one made. Warren Pandy told me they will not drill the holes for the screws. He indicated that the screws are not needed and often are a problem area. He probably is correct as my cracks were all around the screw holes! No, they were not too tight, in fact there somewhat useless as most of them could not be tightened  as they basicall are too short and strip out easily. Warren told me that they have not used screws since the early 90,s.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

mel low

Quote from: claygr on April 14, 2010, 08:09:51 AM
Send me an e-mail at greenesail at sbcglobal dot net if you want a copy of the installation instructions I received from Catalina.  I tried to post them here but it would not upload because the file was too large.  There also are instructions elsewhere on the website but these have some differences.

Could I also get a copy of this as this will be one of my next projects. Thanks in advance. 

Mel Low

sent to lowferII@aol.com

Ron Hill

claygr : Why not send a copy of the Catalina instructions to our C34 Projects/WiKi web site. 
Then it will be available for all C34 owners to view/use.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Be happy to help with the wiki if you need it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Clay Greene

I've attached the Catalina instructions for replacing the salon plexiglass windows.  I tried to upload this to the tech wiki and don't think it worked. 

Ken Juul

Article is added to the Portlights & Hatches section of the wiki
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Clay Greene