New Dinghy - Does size matter?

Previous topic - Next topic

foobie

Yes... this is a real question.

I have the plans and materials to build a 12 foot,  stitch and tape V-hulled sailing tender (the Bateau v12) that I bought years ago when we had a c34 mk II. We now have a mk I and as everyone knows, the mk I's have much less beam.

We have a fantastic set of Kato Marine Davits mounted and while I am confident that a 12 foot dink would be a REAL luxury, I am concerned that in practice will be just too big when up in the davits. I can imagine a tight slip or close call with a piling at a gas dock could be disastrous.

We are not small folk and we tend to have a couple of kids with us frequently so a decent sized tender is important.

Your advice/speculation is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Eckfield

cmainprize

Hi Steve
We have a 11 and half foot rib on davits.  No issues.  The mk11 carries the beam farther aft but the i think the beam is the same (or very close).

Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ken Juul

The Bateau is a beautiful tender.  But unlike inflatables you can't sit on the side tubes so seating a bunch of people is more complicated.  If you want to stay with the Bateau, I think I would measure the transom and decide the max length you want to deal with.  I'm guessing, but I think it will be between 9 and 10 ft.  Since you have all ready purchased the plans and materials, I think I would ask the Bateau Company for advice on how to shorten what you have.

I'm sure some folks that have davits will chime in also.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Steve : Ken gave you good advice. 
I believe that "not being small folk" + kids, I recommend that you look at a 10' RIB.  It's much more stable and would "just" fit on you davits.  You might also examine the size of your dink engine, that should probably be at least 8 to 10+ Hp.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

I measured the MK I transom.  6' at the top of the deck.  With high davits you can probably get by with a tender length of about 8', maybe a bit more.  It really depends on your sailing conditions.  The tender can't be too wide,  when you are heeled over in a good breeze, don't want the dingy catching a wave and being pulled off the davits or the davits getting ripped out of the mount.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Hardesty

Steve,
Before I bought my Catalina I looked at a Tartan 37 that had a "Dinghy Tow" system.  I"m not 100% sure about the name.  What it did was lift only the transom of the tender, with the outboard still attached, and hold it off with struts and the bow floats.  The owner cruised from Lake Erie to the Caribean and back for a couple of seasons by the ICW with a dog he launched the tender twice a day.  He had nothing but praise for the system.  Before I bought davits I'd look into this system.
Jim

thats
www.dinghy-tow.com
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA