Main Sheet Twist

Previous topic - Next topic

savvy

Have been having a problem with the mainsheet twisting. Have replaced the sheet, but it still twists. Any suggestions? Tks. LARRY

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Larry,

I have the same problem on Hull 233...

To temporarily solve the problem, very couple of weeks I'll slack the mainsheet way off and work the twist out of the line...It's a temporary fix, but works for well for a couple of sailing trips and only takes a few minutes to do...

Another more permanent (and inexpensive) fix would be to use stainless steel safety wire (or locking wire used for shackles) and wire the swivel blocks in the fore/aft position, which should solve the problem...This was recommended to me by my Broker and Surveyer when we did the sea trials; they said that it's a common practice on many older sailboats with swiveling blocks...

I believe the best fix is to replace the blocks with the non-swiveling type, or at least locking swivel blocks...I believe Garhauer now sells blocks which are fixed (don't swivel), and they are very reasonably priced...

Go to http://garhauermarine.com/ ; and/or call them and ask for Guido; I'm sure he'd be happy to help...

Tom

Stu Jackson

Our PO had used thin coated sail twine to tie bewteen the blocks where they came together at the swivel and twisted.  It didn't completely eliminate the twist, but helped appreciably.

A few years ago I got a complete new mainsheet block setup from Garhauer, very good price.

If you do, be sure to check the block at the base of the mast and to order the proper end fitting for that block if you want it to fit in the pin at the base of the mast.  I didn't, and had to buy a D shackle to make that connection.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Larry's boat is a 1986.  My experience is that the older boats came with swiveling big black blocks.  We changed ours out as noted above.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."