Salon Curtains for 1987 MkI

Previous topic - Next topic

markr

Hi,
My 1987 MKI has been missing the curtains in the salon since we bought her a year ago. Does anyone have a set or know where to get them from? The tracks are still there - I am looking for the curtains for the two large non-opening windows in the aft part of the salon. The opening hatches in the salonm do not appear to have ever been fitted for curtains or blinds and anyhow I see that there are commercially available solutions for that readily available - but the question of the original curtains for the tracks still vexes me....
Thanks,
Mark
All who wander are not lost.

Stu Jackson

Mark, you saw the new topic posted just today, curtains available, http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4888.0.html.  Ed Webb has some.

If you can't get his, then you have two choices: buy them or make them.  We found out how expensive they were to purchase, and made new ones.  Although we used the old ones as a pattern, since you don't have the old ones, it's still not that hard to make new fabric ones.

There are also multiple choices with newer style blinds.

What you choose to do has to do with your pocketbook, your abilities and what it is you want to see inside your boat.  

What's so "vexing?"  We replaced ours because the old ones were literally falling apart.  They disintegrated when we touched them.  Maybe that's what happened to yours.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mark,
Do you have the tabs that slide into the track? If not it may be easier to buy new track that comes with matching tabs. After my wife made new curtains and reused the existing  track and tabs, we wished that we had gone with the newer style. The tabs that we reused had to be individually sewn on one at a time, whereas the other ones we saw were on a fabric tape that you can sew on with a machine.
Also check out the RV accessory stores like Camping World and also the fabric stores for ideas at a cheaper price.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

markr

Thanks for the info:
Stu: I was vexed by trying to find replacements online. Looking at the online Catalina stores, such as sailboatowners and catalina direct, I see a lot of useful replacement stuff but only new ideas for curtains/blinds - not replacement originals. On a similar note, the type of cabin lights that I have on my 1987 MKI do not seem to be available - bulbs or the whole light fixture. In the salon the lights slide two ways, are rectangular, and if you slide one way one bulb comes on, the other way and both bulbs light. Centred and the light is off. Do you know anything about these?
Thanks for responding to me and have looked at some of your comments you may well tell me that these questions have already been answered! I sent in my membership to C34IA and I am awaiting my log-in for tech notes etc. I am indeed a newbie to the 34, having only owned her since April 2009.
Mike & Joanne: thanks for the tip. I just got an email from someone who may have the whole kit. that may solve the problem of the tabs etc....

And another thing (off topic): I have been scanning the site for technical info on my 34 in terms of offshore capability. I have found some useful stuff. The question that I am trying to answer for myself is: The boat is perfect for what I use it as, a coastal family cruiser. How far do I go in equipment terms to make this more offshore capable, or is that not wise? Equipped for offshore - tankage, sails, etc - does the 34 measure up in terms of design quality. This is my questions - equip and keep the 34 forever and eventually take her further offshore, or eventually have to buy a new "blue water cruiser".......

Stu Jackson

1.  Curtains:  Didn't know whether you had the tracks or not.  Really, it all comes down to your abilities, pocketbook and likes & dislikes, i.e., "style."

2.  Light fixtures:  My 1986 rectangular lights are different than yours.  I have two switches, one on each side, no slides.  You can find replacements at RV stores, but you may want to consider why you'd want to replace them with the same fixtures when there are so many newer ones available., and LEDs are now becoming more commercially available, inexpensive and of the right color.  I have deliberately left my old fixtures in because with the new downlights I installed over the saloon table and the galley, the warm white galley light and our trawler light, we have a nice balance of different "moods.  See: http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-aquavite.html

3.  Offshore:  If you haven't found this gem yet, read Steve Dolling's 1500 Mile Report (he sailed from Vancouver BC to Mexico just this past year):  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.0.html I guess a lot of it depends on "where do you wanna go?"  The longest offshore leg you'd be likely to find is either the trip from Mexico to the Marquesas or westbound across the Indian Ocean.  Other than those, a two week trip is manageable with a proper electrical system, including solar.  A watermaker and solar are pretty much all you need.  Steve really rigged his boat up very well.

When we receive your membership stuff we'll send you an email with the Tech Notes access, and then followup with a snail mail with the disk and other welcome stuff.  Glad to have you here.

Since the boat is new to you, may I suggest what many of us have suggested to other new owners;  "Sail the boat for a year, read some more on this website, and get to know her in and out.  Then start asking those questions.  By then you'll have a much better basis for understanding of the issues involved, your priorities and likes & dislikes, knowing the boat, and you can go from there."  The Quick Start Guide suggest doing a search on the word "weblog" which will pull up some very interesting and helpful series of "My First year" things.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Fuzzy

Mark:
As far as the lights go, the '87 lights with the sliding lens for a switch are the worst piece of junk that
could have been put in the original boats.  I replaced mine with flourescent lights of about the same
size and they have real switches on them and are a lot more efficient than the original incadescent
ones.  Sorry I can't give you the brand/model right now.  Also as Stu mentioned there are a lot of
new type LED's that are even more efficient.  Don't replace with the original type, they will surely
drive you mad.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Lance Jones

Mark,
As for the lights, I replaced my 88s with an LED light that is sold by West Marine. Even the mounting holes line up. While a bit expensive $80 ish, They are bright and reduce your electrical consumption, per light, about 90%. I encourage you to replace as much of your incandescent with LED or Fluorescent if you plan to stay away from the dock for any period of time.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

markr

Pogmusic: any more detail on that westmarine light would be great - it sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the info. While on the same topic, what did you do with the swivelling lights (kind of like a lightshade with a clockwise turning switch on the top) that are in the forward and aft cabins on the 87 MKI's?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: markr on January 18, 2010, 09:55:30 AM
...what did you do with the swivelling lights (kind of like a lightshade with a clockwise turning switch on the top) that are in the forward and aft cabins on the 87 MKI's?

I left mine in.  Changed the bulbs to halogens years ago.  Will switch to LEDs sometime soon.  Since we use those only when we're in bed and reading before turning out the lights, the amp draw is not sufficient enough to me to justify their immediate replacement.  In fact, I like the glow of light they spread much more than the newer "focused" light fixtures.

Lance Jones

Mark,
Here is the light fixture at West (Dr LED Mars Dome Cabin Lights) http://tinyurl.com/yabgewq Ours is the 5 1/2 inch dome.
I also switched the swivel with an LED version (TAYLORBRITE LED Traditional-Style Reading Lights) http://tinyurl.com/ydph4b7

I've replaced all Dome lights except and all swivels except 1 and added one swivel along the cabin trim above the shelving next to the Nav station Similar to David's (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5389.0.html). When swiveled. it covers the Nav Station, dinner table and sink. Will add a second one directly opposite that one.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

markr

Thanks for the info! the 5 1/2 inch dome fitted into the same mounting holes as the original sliding light in the salon?
Mark

Lance Jones

It did on mine. I had the exact same style as pictured -- only the original was incandescent.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

markr

I fitted those 5 1/2 inch dome lights in the salon yesterday. They did not line up to the original mounting holes - there were two screws on the original and three on the dome lights - but no matter, I replaced the 4 salon lights over the sofa area with those dome lights and they really are great. For the two forward lights, port and starboard, I put in the white lights with two settings. For the aft lights, just forward of the nav station and galley, I put in the version with the red and white option. Perfect for night sailing, also with the use of the Dr. LED chart table light that I recently put in.
Next project is to replace the very dated plastic swivelling reading lights in the fore and aft cabins with the brass LED Taylorbrite versions...
Thanks for the advice.

....big rain yesterday, beckson ports in the aft cabin let in a lot of water - have ordered the new gaskets, rain protectors, and screens from catalinaowners.com - apparently they are not fully waterproof without the spoacing effect behind the gasket of the screen or a spacer (nop actual speacer seen online so far, so got thescreen instead).

Stu, that 1500 mile report is very useful reading, thank you for pointing me to that.
Mark

Lance Jones

Mark,
Sorry. Mine too only had the two holes; but, if you look at the original fixture, it had places for three. Well, at least mine did. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Also, check out www.superbrightleds.com They have a lot of products that bring to mind good projects!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Rick Johnson

I have a 1990 C34 with the 5 1/2 inch dome lights.  Does anyone know what size the bulbs are?  I want to buy some of the Super Bright LED festoon bulbs but don't know which ones to buy.  Who measures in mm anyway!!!

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX