engine water temp alarm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

Dear Gurus,

I replaced the thermostat housing on my M25XP, it was in bad shape due to corrosion.  The new one has a threaded hole that is intended for an alarm switch, in addition to the temperature sending unit (and the petcock).  The old one had just a temp sending unit.  I bought the alarm switch, and was wondering whether it's OK to wire it in parallel with the oil alarm switch.  That way, I wouldn't have to install another buzzer.  

Thoughts?

Thanks

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Fulvio

Well, the housing wasn't too bad inside.  I wanted to replace the piece of hose that goes from the housing to the coolant tank.  The barb was really badly corroded, so no way that I could have tightly clamped a new hose onto that.
There was rusty mud in the coolant, but now I have replaced the heat exchanger, too (it was leaking coolant into the exhaust).

So why are you skimping on a separate alarm for water & depth?   :p
My depth finder has its own alarm.  Since I have separate gauges and lights for oil and water, the only purpose of the buzzer is to draw my attention to the panel.  At that point, who cares that the sound is coming from a different buzzer?
I was just wondering whether it's electrically OK to parallel them.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Fulvio

As it turns out, the oil pressure alarm switch is practically inaccessible without removing the coolant tank.  One of my screwdrivers is just the right length to reach it, without being too long so as to bump into the opposite bulkhead, but I figured there would have been no way to put it back together if I had unscrewed it.  

Or am I looking at the wrong thing?

I'll just run a cable all the way to the engine panel, and then I'll see from there.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)