Shaft removal????

Previous topic - Next topic

cmainprize

Can the shaft be removed with the cutlass bearing and rudder in place.  I have seen a picture of it being done, but I cant don't want to have to bend the heck out of it to do it.  I am putting on a new j prop and federal flexable coupling so I plan to change the cutlass bearing at the same time.  I have seen the postings about greasing the shaft and what not, but has anyone actually done it.

Thanks
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ron Hill

cmain : Yes, you can remove the drive shaft past the rudder, but only if the cutless bearing is well worn on a MK l.
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Sayian

Ron,

I tried that on my 2005 MK II and no joy.  Had to drop the rudder.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ken Juul

since your replacing the cutlass anyway, just remove it before you try to remove the shaft.  Make it the first off, last on. Shaft should easily slide past the rudder.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

tonywright

For some reason it seems to be not quite so easy on a MKII. It can be done, but only with the cutlass bearing completely out. The threads on the end of the shaft may score the side of the rudder. We found we needed to grease the rudder to push the shaft past it.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

Guys : I'm beginning to think that Catalina may have changed/increased the rudder surface in front of the pivot point in the MK II rudder??  That may be why the MK II owners are unable to slide the drive shaft past the rudder with the old cutless still in place?!? 
As Ken mentioned, you may need to squirt the old cutless out before removing the shaft (past the rudder).  Reinstall the shaft and then press in the new cutless in place /!?   A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

cmainprize

Thanks for all your thoughts.
I ended up answering my own question yesterday.  The shaft won't make it past the rudder on a mk11.  I ended up making a press like the one on the catalina 310 website.
An hour to make the tool and 10 minutes to get the bearing out without having to pull the shaft.  Now I have a cool press that will sit in the garage for ten years till I need it again.  I copied the tool exactly how it was described on the website and it worked perfect.  I took some pictures but I forgot the camera at the boat.  I will post them if someone wants to see it work.  The yard wanted $400 to re and re bearing if I supplied the parts.  They use the stutpro tool that also works with shaft in place.  The tool costs $400 to buy.  You could buy the tool, do the job and sell it and still be ahead enough for some other boat part. 

http://www.catalina310.org/Maintenance/Maintenance/Cutlass_bearing/Cutlassbearingremovaltool.htm

Thanks Again
Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario