Outboard Parts

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I've got a 1990's vintage Nissan 2cycle 5 hp outboard for the tender.  The ethanol gas (with sta-bil) plays havoc with the carb.  Seem to rebuild/clean it at least once, been twice this season.  The carb bowl gasket is a unique shape, rubber, not paper. Experience shows that it will leak if reused.  The carb kits are expensive, in the $40-60 range.  Anybody know of a source for cheaper kits or where I can just get the bowl gasket?  Not having any luck with the local dealers or on line.  Thankfully some local marinas are now offering gas without ethanol, so maybe I'll be in luck next season.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Momentum M

Ken...I was also experimenting problem with my 4HP Mercury motor.  After cleaning it a couple of time I was told by a mechanic that one should use only high test fuel 'cause there's no additive/ethanol (or other crap!!!).  Hi test (IE super) is pure Gas only and my little motor is now very happy about it.
Now you might thing that's in my head but until I switched to super Gas I couldn't ( with 2 persons on board) plane with my tender and since then I can!!!
Anyhow..for the little Gas that I use in a summer the price difference is very little.
You might want to try that if you're not using high test  It certainly cant harm.
Regards
Serge
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ken, Is the gasket one that you could cut out from rubber gasket material yourself?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ken Juul

Unfortunately it's not that simple.  It is a round moulded rubber gasket that fits into a groove in the fuel bowl.  It is further complicated by a couple of fuel passages that must be sealed.  Otherwise permatex or similiar could be used.  A rough diagram.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ken,
I don't know if you got to this web site but chesk this:

http://www.nissanoutboardparts.com/Parts-Books.html

Under the 5 hp 1992 2 stroke in the carbureator listing item 11 looks allot like what you're looking for.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ken Juul

Exactly right.  I've visited there before, but can't remember why I didn't/couldn't order from them.  I recieved an email last night from  Mastertech Marine [mailto:parts@mastertechmarine.com] he can supply them also.  $5, haven't checked the shipping rates yet.   Couple of good sites for outboard parts, folks may want to book mark.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Well, at least thats better than $40.00-$60.00
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net