Non-Teak trim

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

Anyone have any suggestions for an alternative to teak for trim replacement?  I need to replace a section of trim, probably will replace the whole strip.  I use Cetol, which will stain any wood to about the same color - so why use expensive teak when another wood will do?

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

SteveLyle

any other wood would rot.  Teak has such a high oil content that it doesn't rot.  It oxidizes, collects dirt, etc. instead.

There are probalby other woods with the same characteristic, but I bet they're more expensive than teak.

The obvious alternative isn't a wood, it's Starboard, which probably doesn't take to Cetol too readily.  :-)

c34member

Take a look at the work boats in your area.  No teak there.  White porch enamel over yellow or loblolly pine or ash dowels for handrails.

Cypress is an excellent and almost completely rot resistant wood.  But try and find it.  Mahogany will work well also.  No cost savings there.  

There is a local company making patio decks and docks out of a lumber substitute material composed of recycled plastics.  It is brown.  Gets to be about 1000 degrees underfoot in the sun.

mvazmina

If you are looking at the "eyebrows" go with a striping tape it is easier and will not harm the looks of the boat. there have been several threads about this and I did it and couldn't be happier. No work and more sailing

Mike Smith

Thanks to all for the input!  Ron, its the thin decorative strip down each side of the cabin top.

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

PAUL T.

I saw a product on the C-30 website called "PLASTEAK". If you send them your part they will duplicate it in PLASTEAK. The author of the article said you can not tell the difference from real teak. Website is www.plasteak.com.
Good Luck!  PAUL  "SEAESTA"

Fulvio

What's the purpose of the eyebrows anyway?  Newer Catalinas don't have them.  I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of them completely.

What would you use to fill the screw holes?

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

SteveLyle

No practical purpose that I can see.  I'm redoing the trim on our boat, and have permanently taken off the thin strips at the top/outer edge of the cabin, as well as the eyebrows.  Less trim to deal with, and I think the boat looks better without it.

To fill the holes, call Catalina and order a pint (or a quart if you want a lifetime supply) of gelcoat - the beauty of owning a boat from a builder still in business is you can get the correct color premixed from them.  Then go to the TAP web site (http://www.tapplastics.com/)and order hardener, and Cab-O-Sil.  The Cab-O-Sil is an additive that you add to the gelcoat to make it into a putty (and the beauty of Cab-O-Sil is that it doesn't alter the color).  The TAP web site, or the Catalina Owners web site (http://www.catalinaowners.com/), both have 'how to' documentation for patching gelcoat - go to the Expert Forum on Gelcoat at CatalinaOwners.

Fulvio

Thanks a lot for the info on gelcoat!

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)