1987 C-34 MkI aft water tank access and location

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Nalley

I have a leak in the aft water tank on Allegro #415, and I have not figured out how to access or view the tank or fittings.

Joe nalley

RV61

Joe,
To gain access to this water tank is remove wood panel that is in the aft cabin. This is the panel that runs from port to starboard. The other panel is for your fuel tank access. You may have a couple hidden screws around the plastic square pedestal cover. While you are in there i would suggest inspecting your steering cables.   
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Joe Nalley

Rick,

Thanks for the info. Also, new steering cables and a look at quadrant is a great idea.

Joe

waterdog

Joe, I'm not sure where your leak is, but access to the aft side of the tank is via the cockpit locker.   You need to pull out the propane, tank, shelf and all the gear in the locker and you can get right down inside with good access to tank, quadrant, and steering cables.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Joe Nalley

Steve,

Removing the propane tank and enclosure will be easy as I built the tank enclosure and installed it myself a couple of years ago. The PO ordered Allegro with an alcohol system and we wanted propane. I should have remembered the water tank from my many trips into the locker. My leak may have been caused by my own big feet.

Joe

Ron Hill

Joe : I'd remove the aft water tank and inspect it.
First remove the port side panel in the aft cabin and then the aft panel.  They are connected so you MUST remove the port side first. 
Then remove the "dog house" white covering over the steering column. 
Make sure you note that there are some long and some short screws, so when you reassemble you don't put a long screw into a short screw hole and put a hole in your water tank!!!!
You'll need to disconnect the water fill and vent hoses thru the aft lazerette.
You should disconnect the aft tank water drain and probably cut a small notch in the aft bottom panel fiberglass so you can slide out the water tank and not have the 90 degree drain elbow catch on that fiberglass ridge.

I've written volumes on what you need to check on the steering, especially the idler pulley pins. Yours are bronze and they should be stainless.  A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

lucky

I've got about a 25 gallon bladder that is under  my aft sleeping quarters.I have been told that Catalina did this because the bow was heavy.At any rate six or seven screws and it is out.Water fill is on starboard side,across from fuel fill.Hope this help
AL LANDRY
1986 c 34
hull#13

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Al,
I don't think that bladder tanks were ever standard on Catalina's.
I'd be willing to bet that it was a modification done by a PO

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Lucky : The OEM factory installed water tanks for the 1st year of production (1986) were a starboard and a forward water tank. 
I believe that a PO put in an aft bladder as Catalina only installs preformed plastic tanks.

It all depends what your production year is - as to the location and size of your water tanks!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

lucky

This could very well be true that po installed blatter,but it works well.I do have the side tank and front tank.Thanks for the info you furnished.
Al Landry
C34
Hull 13
Lucky

Ron Hill

Al : There's nothing wrong with an aft tank in a 1986 boat. 
My only advice is if you ever have the port side panel then the aft panel off  -- is to look under your bladder tank and make sure there is cushioning under it so it's not sitting on a hull "rough spot" . 
A thought
Ron, Apache #788