Hood direct line furler upgrade to Single Line?

Previous topic - Next topic

fbien

My Hood Furler line (915 Line Drive) loop is shot... went ahead and took the furler off to get a new line on.  In the process, found the centering ring to be broken... okay, so I broke it.  oops.

When looking at the Hood website (part is $23), noticed they sell a single line upgrade for about $680.  Got me thinking... since it's off anyway... should I just upgrade the furler?  Why spend $23 when you can spend $700!?

Looking at the FAQ, I noticed a couple people may have done this.  Any advice here?  How has the 900SL held up?  Would I be better off just getting something else?

Haven't been having many problems with the Hood line drive (1986 era).  But, it's getting old.

"Moose"
1986 #220

[This message was edited by FrankB - Moose - #220 on May 17, 2002 at 10:03 PM.]

Ted Pounds

Frank,

For what it's worth my persoeronal preference is the looped line.  I've been very happy with mine.  I find it has a couple of advantages over a single line (which I had on my catalina 25):  there is never too much or too little line on the drum and you can use the furling line to get the sail started unfurling.  Also it lets you wrap the sheets around the sail as many times as you want.  And you don't have a big coil of line sitting in the cockpit when the sail is furled. Just my opinion, of course.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

dsavary

I have a spare furler 915 Hood unit. Only used 3 months, was sent to Hood after hurricane Bob hit and they flushed it out replaced the torlin bearings and still sits in the orginal Hood box. I elected to go with a Shaffer system when I replaced the damaged jib. The 915 lower unit includes the tack swivel, line continous loop cut for Cat 34 and blocks that go on the stantions. I can let it go for a good price.
Doug #1138 "Shana"

Dionysus

Make the upgrade.  I did it and it's like night and day.  More powerful, more effective, and much less energy (profanity) expended when trying to reef/furl.

chp

Jim Price

I am planning to do same in near future.  Point to note, the upgrade price DOES NOT include the furling single line.  That is an extra 100' line Hood sell for about $170 (I think, don't have info with me).  Also you have to consider the stanchion mount blocks for the single line.  I don't recommend the Hood stuff simply because as you may know the double line blocks you have are filled with friction.  There are other alternatives available since you will only need a single block but figure on another $175 for a kit.

Now you have spent $1000 but that is still significanly cheaper than going to a better brand system for $2500 to $3500!
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA