12 volt batteries

Previous topic - Next topic

Fou Du Large

Hello!

Is it possible to place 4 x 12 volt (27c) batteries in the battery compartment?

Cat-34 1986...

4 feet of snow on the boat.... :santa 
Impossible to get in....

Thank you
Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

Jeff Kaplan

fou, i have a 1986 and you won't get more than 2 batteries in the compartment. instead of 4 group 27s, install 2 group 31s which will give you all the starting power and house power you will need. i currently have 2 group 29s and when need to replace i will go for the group 31s, used to start large diesel engines in trucks. get deep cycle marine type. our snow has finally melted, but we're not out of winter yet...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Fou Du Large on February 21, 2009, 08:00:58 AM
Is it possible to place 4 x 12 volt (27c) batteries in the battery compartment?

Cat-34 1986...

No, three Group 27s are the max you can fit in a Mk I battery compartment.  Alternatively, you can fit four 6V batteries and get 33% more amperage.  Even if you split them into two banks, either bank would equal a two-battery Group 27 bank.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Fou : I have 3 Gp 31 AGM batteries in your size battery compartment. 
One is in a battery box while the other two are not (but covered with a heavy plastic cover and tied down).  I'll send a photo to Projects so you can see them and send one to your Email.   :D
Ron, Apache #788

Fou Du Large

Thank you all.

I have actualy 4 Trojan AGM 6 volts but they are at the end of life. (30% resistance. said expert)
There's not a big difference of size with 27C, i was thinked that the 27C will fit in the box. :cry4`

Big deal on Costco in spring on these batteries. I know these are not top choice,  but for the price...
About $70.00 each.

My battery Expert store offer US-2200 6 volt 232 Amp. at $159.00 each..
And Trojan 6 volt AGM 200 Amp ( Like mine) at $319.00 Each... WOW!
I need 400 Amp. bank.
I wiil Think over.

Next week i'll drive from Quebec to Miami Florida.
We will come back about 15 april.
I think i will pass near you on the I-95.???    I will check for new batteries in US.

Ron! Thank you for the  photo.
What are these red boxes on positive pôle?

Bye
Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

Jon Schneider

Fou, if you're a member of any of the "big box" clubs (BJ's, Costco, Sam's Club), you'll find pretty significant savings (hate to admit that on behalf of smaller, local merchants).  I bought four Interstate 6Vs and an Optima starting battery last year for about $550US, including tax (~9%).  It was the only reason I joined Sam's Club, though, unfortunately, I've benefited from other purchases since then.  I can't tell you the exact price of the 6Vs I bought, but, backing into it, I think the Optima was about $125 and, therefore, the 6Vs would've been sub $100 each.  Of course, if you're not a member, you have to factor the membership fee into the cost.  I did, and it was still a significant savings for me.  Unfortunately, none of these clubs advertises their products or prices for in-store-only deals on their websites.  I don't go very frequently, but perhaps someone else reading this can check out the prices in store and report back to see if it's worth your while.  BTW, while a somewhat more expensive option, you might actually be able to fit four Optima 34Ms in the box (as long as you flatten the base of the box and customize some hold-down fittings.  Optima 34Ms deliver 120 amp hours, so four of them would get you beyond your goal to 480 AH.  (Actually not a bad idea; wish I had thought of it for myself last year, but it's all dependent on whether four of them would fit.)
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Ted Pounds

Last time I bout 6V golf cart batteries at Sam's (admittedly quite a while ago) they were $45 each.  By the way, if you buy batteries as Sam's make sure you check the date.  I found some that had been sitting around for 8 months.  :shock:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Fou : I've been living with a house bank of 315 AH for years.  I just don't let them get down too low before recharging. 
I don't have to "equalize" and the AGMs are maintenace free.  Reason that I got into AGMs?  I looked at the warrentee and found that AGMs were 5 years while the others were 4 years. 
Only made sense to me !
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Ted Pounds on February 22, 2009, 01:46:08 PM
Last time I bout 6V golf cart batteries at Sam's (admittedly quite a while ago) they were $45 each.  By the way, if you buy batteries as Sam's make sure you check the date.  I found some that had been sitting around for 8 months.  :shock:

Ted, your post from a couple of years ago was the reason I checked out Sam's Club and went with 6Vs.  I didn't think I could afford them otherwise.  Thanks for that.  I'm happy with them.   :clap
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

BOB FLEEGE

Fou,  More battery ideas...I have been using the Optimax AGM deep cycle Blue Top exclusively for years and have had tremendous service from them..I purchased them from Sam's and they have been great when they get tired or weak.they replace them..My configuration is 3 AGMs in the forward box...they fit very snuggly ...and 4 in the aft box in front of the galley sink. and as Jon suggested you have to level the bottom of the battery box...  3 of them are house and one a start that was purchased in 2004 and still going strong.  these battaries have 55 amp hours each ...so my 2 house banks of 3 battaries each have a total of 330 amp hours and the one start at 55 amp hours...the house batts are charged with a 40 amp Xantrex and the start with a 20 amp Xantrex..One advantage of these battaries are that they are relatively light compared to golf cart and other bigger style battaries...so when I get ready for a lengthy off shore voyage I can take all my battaries in and get them checked at Sam's so that I will know for sure that they are all working properly...If one is weak or not excepting a charge...they usually give me a new one with a new long warrenty...So more Fou for battery thought...Bob Fleege    P.S. My Cat 34 is a 1992 so your battery locations may be different from mine.