Flyback 20-3 Charger

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Rose

I'm on my second Flyback Charger.  I was wondering if anyone has tried the 20 Amp charger from Charles Marine, like the one Boat/US sells.  Physically it's about the same size as the Flyback.  The Truecharge 20 Amp from Statpower is to long to fit in the location under the galley trash bin.  I'm waiting for an answer from Eatern Yacht Sales.  I think the Flyback has had an upgrade modification made to it.  There has been a lot of Flyback failures.

Stu Jackson

Jim

Sometimes (and rarely) Catalina "just doesn't get it."  This seems to be true about the electrical support systems for the batteries in their boats.  They continue to stock the new boats with old technology when it comes to battery charging.  Some of us have urged Catalina to provide at least an option to have a good system, with quality equipment, installed at the factory, to no avail.  This would include a "real" battery charger, like the Statpower 10 or 20 amp model, or an inverter charger, or solar panels, as standard but optional equipment.  They continue to "peddle" the Flybacks and other junk, which eventually (sooner than later) end up with folks sending "dead battery" questions to this Message Board.

Recent posts on this subject include Equalizing Batteries (toy Catalina stock chargers don't do this), "Do I Leave the Boat Plugged in or Not?," and others.  John Nixon recently responded to an earlier electrical and battery question, and he noted that the only charger he could recommend without hestitation was the Statpower (now Xantex).  You can find his posts on electrical stuff by searching this message board under "Nixon."

You wouldn't put an undersized, el cheapo block on your mainsheet system, or use a toy furler, so why do that with your expensive electrical system?

Just because it doesn't fit doesn't mean you can't find another place to install the proper equipment.  If you're on your second Flyback, that should tell you something.  The Charles technology is no better.

If you invest in a quality charger, and the Statpower standalone charger is the only one to purchase (unless you want to go the inverter charger route using Heart or Trace equipment), you will assure the continued good health of your batteries.  Any other choice is sure to harm your batteries and cost you MUCH more in battery replacement in the long run.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

shekinahsailor

Jim, as Stu mentioned, try a different mount for the trucharge 20.  I went through the same issues, changed to the trucharge and the problems were solved.  I have basically the same configuration as you. The new charger is mounted under the trash can with only about 30 minutes of modifications-it's tight but will fit.

amoreau

Hi, I took my flyback and through it in the trash this year.  It failed me for the second time and I said that's it.  I went out and bought the statpower and it works like a charm.  I mounted it sideways near the trash can, behind the shelf.  I had to take out the little shelf that the trash can rested on.  I hardly hear the cooling fan run on it.  It's a good unit.  I also bought the remote panel for it.  Nice touch.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

Norris Johnson

Well, I guess I screwed-up. They repaired my flyback for 90 bucks and I put it back in. That was 2 mos ago. If it fails again, I'll chuck-it.

Norris Johnson
Mariposa
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas