Broken storage slider handle

Previous topic - Next topic

Analgesic

I have a challenging problem I suspect others may have faced and solved.  I broke off the handle of the black plastic sliding door for the port side storage behind the settee.  I am a veteran of this problem as I broke one of the starboard handles a couple of years ago.  Last time I popped out the plastic piece, cut a new square leading edge, drilled a couple of new holes and replaced the handle and popped the sheet right back in.  This time I cannot get out the broken plastic door.  I can only assue that either the wooden tracks have come closer together due to wood swelling or something bigger like flexing of the hull now that the boat is on the hard.  It is clear that if I try to bend the sheet it will break before it comes out.  If I do break it, a new one of the same size won't fit in.  Does anybody have any ideas on how I can solve this?    Thanks in advance for any help.
Brian McPhillips
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

BillG

I have the same problem with 2 handles that need to be repaired this winter.  I intend to take a jack and place it in the middle of the span and jack them apart by about 1/4 of inch which should be enough to get them out.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Stu Jackson

Bill's right, a Mainsheet article covered it in depth.  Ya gotta lift 'em up, matey!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sselinger

The other posts are correct, you have to lift them up and maybe bend them a slight amount to clear the slots. Consider eliminating the handles and just making a large "finger" hole. This eliminates the problem nicely.

Steve
C34 Aquila (1990)
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

BillG

There was an article either in the tech notes or the projects page about reinforcing the handle with teak on one side and an aluminum plate on the back side.  Looked real nice and sturdy.  I think I am going to use this approach.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Stu Jackson

Brian,

The best way to find the articles mentioned in Tech Notes, IF you are a member of the C34 IA, is to use "The Guide" to this website (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2629.0.html and a "sticky" on the main message board page) and go to the KNOWLEDGEBASE.  Then, using the spreadsheet function CTRL F on the "All Articles" Tab, do a "find" on the word "sliding" - which finds six or seven articles on the subject.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Brian : Back in 1997/98 there's an article in the C34 Mainsheet tech notes about the side sliders.  The author used ash battoning (contact cement) on the black plastic sliders.  It not only strengthend the sliders where the handle attaches, but it also lightens up the interior( much more that you'd think!!).
Did the same to mine and love it. 
Ron, Apache #788

Phil Spicer

After I broke ours I used West Epoxy to put the broken part back in place. Then I made teak handles from 3/4" square stock. Handles are about 1" to 1-1/2" past the screw holes in length. Used the old holes to hold the new handles in place.  Also put a 1/2" mitered on the ends & sanded to remove sharp corners & edges. Still working after 12 years. Also put a small rubber stop in the track so one handle can't hit the handle on the other end.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.