Windlass vs Traveler Upgrade & Using a Jib Sheet Winch as a Windlass

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

Quote from: Joe and Carol
  I do not have a windlass and sometimes have to retrieve anchor with block and winch. 
/quote]

Joe, what kind of block and winch are you talking about, I had a stuck anchor last summer which I finally got out, but wish I would of had mechanical help,  Thanks Bobg
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Stu Jackson

Bob, our experience is to remove one jib sheet from the fairlead, run a line from the anchor line at the bow through the fairleads back to a winch and use the winch like a windlass.  Rolling hitch from line to line.

It'd be a lot better, for when I have to do this, to have a line of the correct length, rather than using one of our backup (read: looooooong) anchor lines!  40 feet of 3/8 or 1/2 inch would do it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

And you would prefer to do this rather than pull a little harder on your traveler?    I think you must have one of those pretty dock boats that goes out sailing for the afternoon and comes back and ties up, only occasionally dropping the 10 lb Danforth while you cut the crusts off the bread to serve the cucumber sandwiches for lunch...     
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

and this one -- got it (the anchor) up!

Is it that Grey Poupon I see in there with those cucumber sandwiches?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Stu : It's apparent that you don't anchor where there's a MUDDY bottom and alot of chain!!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

We anchor in mud all the time.  Thing is it takes sooo loooong to get the anchor up by hand that the mud's all washed off by the time it comes up! :D

waterdog

You drop that thing in mud with no windlass?   I take back what I said about the crustless cucumber sandwiches.   You just like pain.  I bet you would never consider an outboard for your dinghy...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Rick Johnson

Just in case anyone else wanted to give it a go!  This was the best price I found. I don't see how they can sell the V1 for that but I could not pass it up...

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Lewmar-V1-Vertical-Windlass-W-Gypsy-F-5-16-Chain-1-p/lew6671011108-138.htm

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

Rick : You'd better check out that Lewmar V1 and find out why there's "such a good deal" !!! 
I see that they are selling the one I installed (V700) for almost $200 more??  Also I couldn't find out whether it's a complete kit (+ breaker & switch) or not.
Also you'd better figure out the geometry of a vertical windlass installation, as your anchor well was made for a horizontal windlass.  A few thoughts!!
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

Ron:  I found lots of websites selling the V1 for under $600.  That one was just the cheapest.  I've been told that they are doing away with the V1 line.  Yes, its a complete kit with breaker, motor, and switch. 

I figure I'm going to have to build some type of box to mount it in...

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stu Jackson

Rick, before they stop making it I recommend that you purchase ALL of the spare parts kits you may ever need.