speakers

Previous topic - Next topic

jsbbritt@aol.com

Hi,

I have a non sailing question.  I have a 91 Catalina 34 ( with the step through transom) and would like some advice on where toplace speakers in the cockpit? Any help would be appreciated.

Ken Juul

The cockpit speakers on Luna Loca are located on either side just forward of the pedestal, centered on the slanting aft edge of the cockpit seats.  This makes them pretty much centered in the cockpit, but in a place where people won't sit in front of them.  I have also seen small box speakers mounted to the pedestal guard facing forward.  I would worry about the magnets interferring with the compass, and with the table, drink holders, GPS mount, etc on the pedestal, I think the speakers would make mine look cluttered.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

jbstack28

Hey I simply mounted mine to the forward side of both Propane lockers.  Works great.  Good luck.

Charlie Stackpole
"DESPIDO" hull 1029
Tampa, Fl

Roc

I placed mine on the forward facing side of the covers for the rear storage area, on either side of the pedestal.  These are the seats that flip forward so you can get to the rudder quadrant, etc.  I bought poly planar low magnetic speakers.  They sound great because the locker area acts like a big speaker cabinet.  I mounted them as high up on the surface so they wouldn't be prone to being kicked when moving about the cockpit.  It was between this method and the new NavPod 'speakerpods' that they make to install speakers under the stern seats.  I didn't go with the speakerpods because I felt they would be more prone to sea spray while sailing.  The one's in the cockpit seem to be more protected.  Also, the wiring for the speakerpods would be harder because you need to fish the wire through the stern rail.  My installation was very easy to run wiring.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

One thing to be careful about is the potential of interference from your new cockpit speakers to your autopilot.  I installed our speakers on our Mark I in the vertical panel below the helsman's seat, and had to relocate my autopilot further away due to interference.  The speakers were the non-magnetic outdoors shielded type, but still gave our old Autohelm 3000 fits.  The autopilot was on the angled face of the starboard seat.  It's now up on the coaming, which turned out to be a much better and more accessible location for it.  Certainly a different cockpit layout than a Mark II.

You may have a newer autopilot with a remote fluxgate compass, so it may not be an issue.  You may want to wire up the speakers temporarily, turn them on and take a test drive just to make sure you have no interference.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

My autopilot fluxgate compass is mounted in the cabin.  Port side, under the settee, near the holding tank.  That's how it came from the factory.
Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

tassber2

I mounted flush mount speakers cut into the forward facing section of the rear storage area below where the seats flip up  for access.  They are out of the way and sound great.

vmenasce

We Place them under the seats that are integtated into stern pulpit. The wiring is hidden inside a stanchion post.