Folding Props

Previous topic - Next topic

captaingary

I currently have a Martec folding prop on Windmill #1231 and the cutless bearing does not hold up more than a year. A friend of mine also has the same prop on a newer 36' and has the same problem. We lost his on the return from Ensenada this past weekend. It had only been on the boat for 6 months. Has anyone else with the Martec folding prop been encountering the same problem? Also, any feedback from thos with experience with feathering props would be appreciated.
Gary Schneider
Windmill #1231
Long Beach  CA

dave davis

My 1988 has had a Martec folder from the beginning and the bearing has held up fine. Except the time about 6-7 years ago when I had a conflict with a chain mooring and managed to wrap the shaft and put a good size bend in the Bronze shaft which took out the bearing at the same time. I replaced the shaft with a Stainless one and its been fine since. I am also on my 2nd Martec but that is due to corrosion problems. I have done some things to fight corrosion and I will have to wait to see if that has been solved. Good Luck, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Alohman

Our 1986 has a 1994 vintage martec prop, while we have owned the boat for the past two seasons, we have not had any problems.