Annapolis Show, C34 Production Continuity, LED Lights, & M35B Engine PHOTOS FLIX

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

First thing I noticed is they are still using plugs for the engine wires.  The Harness Upgrade may never go out of style.  But they do look alot more substantial than the original "trailer light" connector.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve S.

There was another source of LED lights that I thought was pretty reasonable - mastlight.com  Got a 1 foot weatherproof double strip of warm white that I plan to sew into the bimini for an "at anchor" night light.  Only $30.  They also sell anchor lights and such on their website. 
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Momentum M

Guys...sound like the production of the C34 is history.
On Swans web page (www.swansyachtsales.com/) regarding the 34..."Catalina has ceased production of the C34...."
So now we know for sure.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Allan.SVCarina

Welcome to the club of no longer in production boats  :cry4`

Catalina however is still showing in their lineup on their web site.
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Lance Jones

One other source of LED lighting that I use is Doctor LED (http://www.doctorled.com/) He has found direct replacements for nearly all the incandescent and fluorescent lights on our boats. He also shows up at boatshows.

West Marine now stocks his dome lights that are a direct replacement for ours. They come with either Soft white/bright white or soft white/red. He also sells the drop in replacement bulb so you don't have to buy the whole system. I bought the whole system as my lights all have different switches. They are every bit a bright as the ones they replaced.

Cheers!

Lance
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Clay Greene

FYI, I spoke to a dealer's representative at Strictly Sail Chicago and they said that Catalina sent out a "quiet" announcement to dealers about a year ago that the C34 and C36 are done.  Several dealers were unhappy about this decision because they had customers waiting for boats, so Catalina manufactured a few more of each.  However, the representative was not expecting any more new boats to come off the line.  I am sorry to see this decision because I would not trade the layout of the C34 for either the 350 or the 375. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Jon Schneider

Wow, I was about to say that they still list the 34 on the CY website, but I just went to confirm, and it's gone.  It was there last week.  Gone this week.  So I guess we all now own rare commodities.  I'm feeling the values surge! 

Seriously, it's very sad to me.  Given the amount of cross-over materials and supplies, I'm actually surprised that they have to formally discontinue a model; though I suppose that every little bit of streamlining helps, especially in this economy.  And I guess they feel they've covered the spectrum enough with "real" sailing boats in the 320 and the 375 not to need a middle ground.  That said, when you compare CY's breadth to Beneteau's, there's quite a disparity.  Beneteau's got more models at every size than Sears has wrenches.  Could be they know something.  But maybe not.  I wonder how many C34s have been sold each year over the last few years, and how successful the 350 has been. 

Sweet sailing on our fine and ever more rare beauties....
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

The C34 line produced 1,800 hulls - that's the last hull # reported to us (The C34 IA) from Catalina Yachts.  Maybe a few more have come down the line, but that's the latest #.

The C36s had over 2,000.

The C350, and other Catalinas with 0's at the end are, IMHO, merely Winnebagos, not "real" sailing sailboats like the C34, C36 and C42.  I doubt if the C350 is anywhere near 200 hulls.  Except for the C310.

I agree with Jon that the 375 is kinda "middle ground."  Notice they didn't use an 0 at the end! :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kyle Ewing

I talked to a dealer at Strictly Sail Chicago and got a slightly different answer.  Production for several models is in the process of moving to Florida so production is on hold.  They haven't made a decision on the 34's permanent production status.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Jon Schneider

I actually think the 320 is a good sailing boat.  Very fast.  I don't like her lines, but I don't hate them; too bloated, like all new boats, except for day-sailers, but I think she's a good one.  And the new 375 isn't horrible, though I haven't seen it in person.  Looks like the 42 is the last true classic model, though the 28 is a close second.  I have to say, that I think the 400 actually has great lines as well, and is another terrific sailer.  Still, the 34 was the perfect size (for me) and the prettiest.  I keep wishing that CY would blow the dust of the old S&S-designed 38, and convert it into a day-sailer for the rest of us. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

A review of the C375 can be found here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4232.0.html

A search on "C375" finds more discussion.

The 320 may be what Jon says, but I dislike the interior because they got it "backwards" by placing the head on the same side as the U shaped settee with the galley on the straight sette side (like a Bendy Toy) and makes it look much smaller inside. Cranky, ain't I?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

I STAND CORRECTED.

Received this email from Tom:

Good Morning Stu - I noticed one of your recent posts over on the C34 board that speculated that the C350 production "couldn't be more than about 200".

Amazingly, the C350 is probably over hull #500 by now.  Catalina produced around 100 in the first year, and ramped up even a bit more in the second year.  It's amazing to me how well this large boat has sold.  I've seen posts from owners of hulls in the high 400's recently.

Comments about it's "Winnebago"-like looks always amaze me.  Yes it's large, and certainly doesn't have the "classic" lines (aka 1970's plastic boats) that the 34 has - but you probably shouldn't disparage its sailing abilities.  In many areas, it carries a PHRF rating that expects it to be faster than 34's and 36's, and in actual experience around the bouys, holds it's own with same. 

To each their own.  I suppose that's why there's Chocolate, and Chocolate Chunk.

Good Luck!
Tim Brogan  (aka Eddie Longo in some emails)
April IV  C350 #68
Seattle

Lance Jones

Actually, ALL the production is moving to Florida with only the Corp HQ remaining in California. They're consolidating both the Catalina and Morgan production lines. And yes, the C-34 is no more. I sincerely hopes this will help increase our beloved steeds value.

Cheers!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Michael Shaner

I happen to think the lines on my 1987 "70's plastic boat" are about as sexy as they come...of course, I'm sure you all will have the decency not to tell my wife I typed that...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Jon Schneider

My hat's off to Tim for such an eloquent rebuttal.  I happen to think that while the 350 lacks our more classic sheer and sexier topsides (i.e., classic lines), she's still a good-looking Catalina.  I'm not as crazy about the 320 and I find the 309 really quite ugly, but I think the main reason for this is that both of those models lack two forward portlights (probably their sheerlines and topside proportions have something to do with their aesthetics as well).  Doesn't really matter though... it sounds like America has voted for the 350 over ours. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA