vinegar in the head

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

I was just reading the story "A Head of the Fleet" by James Mason on the February 2002 issue of Mainsheet (page 42).  In the last paragraph, he says (about years of crust and crystallization build up in the waste hose and Y-valve):

"A little white vinegar routinely poured into the head would have solved this"

Is that true?  Having just replaced my Y-valve and the whole head pump rod and piston and valves and gaskets, I found a lot of crystallization, too, and wondered if there was any way to dissolve and prevent that.  I usually pour some head/tank treatment liquid into the head, for odor and cleaning.

Does anyone use vinegar or other stuff?

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Stu Jackson

Fulvio

Check FAQs - Marine Sanitation.  Very good info.  I use a bit of white vinegar regularly, and usually flush with fresh water before I leave the boat.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

jmnpe

While white vinegar will work pretty well to eliminate or control the mineral "stuff" that builds up in the head anywhere salt water is left standing, just be very careful NOT to leave it sitting in the head for an extended period of time. I had an unpleasant experience a couple of years ago wherein I unthinkingly left the Raritan PE II bowl and pump full of vinegar for a couple of weeks after a short "cruisette". When I returned to the boat a couple of weeks later, all the seals in the pump were hard and non-functional. It was my own damn fault, and it taught me a good lesson, but rebuilding heads is not my favorite thing to do on a boat.

If you use vinegar, don't leave it in the head for more than a couple of hours, then flush it well with water.

John