Still shopping - between a "90" and an "86"

Previous topic - Next topic

hump180

Everyone, I am still looking for a reasonable boat and have it narrowed down to a 1986 and a 1990. The 86 has fresh epoxy topsides, rebuilt engine with no time, and new sails. The 90 has new sails, a dimple transom with no walk thru, and low hours on M25XP but needs some polishing/tlc. Both are same price range in mid 40s. Any thoughts??

Thanks
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Ron Hill

hump : I'd go for the 1990.  Wish I had that transom and it has 3 more hp in the engine. 
Ron, Apache #788

hump180

Ron, I actually kind of like the classic transom pre 1990, I think I would have to get used to the look of the dimple transom; however, I am leaning towards the 1990.
Western Lake Erie

Rick Johnson

I have a 1990 with the walk-through transom.  I would also say go with the 1990!  The swim step will be very handy.  I had a 1984 Catalina 30 with a trad transom and never went swimming off the back of the boat.  Now, I use the C34 as a lake house more than a sailboat....

My 2-cents
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

RV61

I have an 86 but given same price  range I would go with the 90. That extra 3 HP
sure would be nice when needing it.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Stu Jackson

There are many other factors to consider beyond the sails, engine and stern.  I don't believe the 3 hp will make any difference.  Consider the other factors: 

color of hull, stripes and deck - which do you like better if it matters to you at all

condition and color of cushions - an expensive repair or replacement

type of cooking fuel - CNG or propane

Stuffing box - standard or "enhanced"

condition of hoses - even though engine maybe new, how about the hoses?

roller furling - manufacturer

autopilot - make and models, replacements available?

standing rigging - ever been changed?  which is more recent; any neat rigging improvements?

charger and electrical system - BIG topic

miscellaneous pumps - condition

galley sink drain - has it been done?

I don't mean this to be as detailed a question like a survey, but it points out that there are significant other issues you need to consider beyond just the stern and the engine size.  And, only YOU can determine what all the other important things are on the two boats to help you make the decision.

That said, newer is better, and you would appreciate the stern configuration.

This is a continuation of this thread: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4456.msg26005.html#msg26005
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

Responded to your email, but am not sure it was sent properly.  We would recommend going with the "dimple" stern...we have found ours to be the best-of-both-worlds....a handy place to board a dingy from and enter/exit the water, yet still retaining the storage hull rigidity and safety of a closed cockpit.  As for the C34 overall...great boat!...sails well, good layout below, easy to maintain, and a very supportive association.  One proviso...if either of the boats you are considering has not yet had a new style rudder installed, seriously consider it...the boat sails better and the old style rudder was prone to rust and eventual failure.  Hope this is of help.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Kyle Ewing

If both boats are otherwise the same, go for the swim platform.  My first boat didn't have a swim platform.  My current boat (hull #1010) has the dimple and I wouldn't go back to a boat without the platform.  If you spend any time in the water it's a must.  The ladder is fantastic for getting in and out of the boat.  There's also a lot storage under the helm seat.

If there are differences pay attention to Stu's list.  After purchasing my 1990 5 years ago the largest single expenses have been electrical system (done in stages), sails, and a new rudder.  Pay attention to running rigging.  You can spend $1000 in line to replace all sheets, halyards, etc.  Also compare canvas and electronics.  How about cradles?

How about history?  How many owners and how used?

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Bill Asbury

I have a '91 C34 with walkthru transom/swimplatform.  Had Ericson 28 previously with traditional closed transom, which was great boat but wife for one wouldn't consider even looking at another boat w/o swimplatform.  Easy in/out of water and on/off dinghy.  Also not mentioned above is in case of MOB much easier getting person back on board compared to winching them aboard with a halyard.

Electrical problems have been biggest expenses I've had in three years I've owned my boat, so I call your attn to what Stu said about charging/electrical system being a BIG issue.

Buy the newest boat you can afford and whichever boat you buy, be assured that after purchase you'll be wishing you'd checked on some of the issues mentioned by others above if you didn't, so pay close attn to those items and take time in checking them out to best of your ability before signing contract.  If issues come up on survey that concern you or that you were not aware of, don't be shy about insisting that those issues are taken care of and/or renegotiating the price.  Business is business.

Caveat emptor and best wishes!
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

hump : You'll get used to that dimple transom. 
At least you won't have a molded in propane tank box (walk thur transom) which will limit you to ONLY a 1 gal (4.5lbs) propane tank!!
The additional 3 hp negates any side load taken by the hi output alternator over the 21hp engine!! 
A few thoughts. 
Ron, Apache #788

hump180

Thanks everyone, just got back from 8hr roadtrip to look at the 90. After looking at many 34's, this one hit me, so we have a purchase agreement contingent upon the survey tomorrow morning. If all goes well I should have the boat next weekend. The boat was on the hard so I could not run the engine, but the deal seems to be right and boat is clean, despite needing some polishing in spots. I will be surfing this sight in preparation for the boat arriving next week.
Western Lake Erie

Ted Pounds

Quote from: hump180 on August 29, 2008, 08:03:27 PM
I will be surfing this sight in preparation for the boat arriving next week.

There's you biggest task right there.   :wink:  There is so much info on this site you may never get sailing.  :shock:

In the meantime, welcome to the C34 and congratulations (subject to survey...) on your new purchase.   :clap
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Juul

Good luck on the survey!

Welcome to the club.  No need to surf, 99% of what you need is right here. Check out the projects link at the top.  Return to the home page www.c34.org and read the FAQs found on in the left margin.  Use the search feature provided by google also found on the home page.  There is also a good search function for the message board at the top of this page.  No question is too dumb, but many have been answered many many times.  Please do a little research and ask clearification questions rather than "how do I".  We are always looking for new topics and welcome them.

Once you get settled, consider joining the C34 International Assoc, with membership you also get access to the Technotes and a copy of the Mainsheet, the Catalina Owners magazine.  Over 20 years of valuable knowledge. 

Again best wishes on the Survey.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA