Water in sail locker on my 1988 Catalina 34

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans

I get water in the sail locker after sailing in heavy seas. It does not appear its coming from the anchor locker as I have flooded it with water dock side and it has not leaked when I did that.

Any ideas?

Stu Jackson

Not sure what you mean by "sail locker" when you discuss anchor locker source.  If it's your port locker or aft lazarette, then the solution is to install weatherstripping on the edges of the hatches under the seats.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Because you mentioned the anchor locker I'll assume you mean under the vee berth.  You said only in heavy weather, so I would assume you mean green water is coming over the bow.  Check anything on the bow that has a bolt.  Anchor roller, chocks, windlass if you have one, pulpit attachments, fore stay attachment. Something up front needs to be rebed.  A technique I have heard but not tried is to make a line with a water soluble marker high enough on the hull that any water in the bottom won't splash on it.  In theory, the incoming water will disolve the marker and leave a tell tale to help ID the source.  Have also heard of using kool aid powder if the surface is course enough to hold it in place.  Water leaks are one of the hard things to track down, it can travel quite a distance before it settles into a low spot.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

RV61

Hans,
If you mean under V-berth? Do you have a water tank under the V-berth. If so can you tell wether the water is Sea water or Fresh? Another C-34 I know had water in V-berth after a heavy ride and found after process of elimination and figuring out it was fresh water that his inspection port on the water tank was the culprit. 
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

lloyd

I have an 89 34,and I installed newinstument thru hulls in the bow.after th boat was in the water very often I would stick my hand down in the locker to see if it the thru hulls were laeking.after a few sails i did the test and was shocked to feel water there.iI checked and found a smal lhole in the bottom of the bulk head to drain any water to the bilge.water slossed from the bilg up to the hole and left a little water that did not completly drain