Anchor well/ Cleat

Previous topic - Next topic

DougP

OK, installed a new roller, side cleats, etc.

Then I noticed that removing the center line cleat means I have no place to tie down my anchor.

My question is this: Is the back (aft) wall of the anchor locker strong enough to mount a cleat for the anchor line?
Doug & Theressa
Noeta,  #307
Gig Harbor Washington

Stu Jackson

I really don't know, with a proper backing plate it might, but you'd be pulling straight out unless you put it on a side, which would be harder to access for mounting.

Is there anything precluding reinstalling the single OEM cleat, then you'd have 3!!! 

Seems like the Law of Unforeseen consequences has established itself. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

Doug,
Can you mount it on the narrow front wall (more of a corner, really) of the anchor locker?  That would get the pull parallel to the mounting surface.  You'd still want a good backing plate and it might be a good idea to reinforce the area with additional glass.  Just a thought...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ted Pounds

Or one of the side-walls might be a viable option too...  But, like Stu said, I think the pull angle is bad for the aft wall. 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Doug : You didn't mention your production year, but your hull # appears to be a 1987.
When I put in my windlass I found on my 1988 that the anchor well "pan" was only about 1/4" thick fiberglass - on 2 sides and back.  There is PROBABLY a 3/4" plywood attached to the back of the of that "pan" and then a piece of 1/2" teak faced plywood on the back of that.  There might be a 1/4" void in all of that.  This guess is based on my 1988 construction.  Can't say about the 1987 construction. 

What I'm telling you is that any cleat attaching hardware must go thru about 1 1/2" and be backed (with a plate) to the inside of the bulkhead that the shelf attaches to in the Vberth.  Hope this helps.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788