Lewmar Portlight leak mystery

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

I also have this problem on our 1988 C34 hull #815.  I would like to order the seals and o rings discussed, but I have no idea of the make and model of the port.  I have e-mailed Catalina and they either can't or don't want to answer the questions since they referred me to a marine supply company who wants to sell me some off the shelf general purpose seals.  I get the impression from reading this topic that there are specific parts I need to order for this situation.  However, in reading the posts I see that some people have Lewmar and some Beckson (sp?) ports.  Can anybody tell me what brand of ports I have.  There is no identification that I can find on the port itself.

We just joined this association and I suspect it will be the best $25.00 we ever spent.
Thanks for the help.
Horsemel

Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Stu Jackson

Hull #815 definitely has BOTH!!!  Really, the cabin-side ports are Lewmars and the two in the cockpit to the aft cabin are Beckson's (5x12).  There were a variety of Lewmars installed over the years.  Perhaps someone with a hull # close to yours has the right size and model, or check with Lewmar based on your size and the age of your boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve McGill

Horsemel,

Welcome aboard..............

I have hull number 588, I have the original Lewmar Aluminum frame ports, there are six.
I believe you probable have the same but need to check. This link goes to catalinadirect.com.com,
they have the large gaskets and they list the size.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&Page_ID=21

Check the measurements of yours. Additionally you can do a search for the "O Rings" on this site. Search on "Lewmar "O rings" there should be a great many hits to look over.

Steve

CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

horsemel

Thanks for the prompt replies!  I am on this site for 30 minutes and have the answers I need.  I will measure my ports and get some o rings ordered!  Everybody at my marina said that I would just have to replace the ports.  I will let you know how this story ends.
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

seanmcelligott

Horsemel,

I have tons of extra o rings if you need some, just send me your address and they are yours.  My leaks were from the plastic piece in the middle of the frame.  Do a search and place some clear caulk there and you may be OK.  I ordered 6 new gaskets from defender only to find my gaskets were actually fine, water was coming in from the grey plastic piece.
Sean K. McElligott
"Ringle" 1988 Hull Number 758
Black Rock, CT

Ted Pounds

Mark,
One other note - Catalina does not respond well to e-mails.  Best to get them on the phone anytime you want an answer.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

horsemel

Hi Sean,
Thanks for the great offer.  I will take you up on it.  You can ship them on my UPS account, but i don't have the account number here at home.  I will get it tomorrow along with my shipping address.  You can also use FEDEX if you like I can get that number as well.
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

horsemel

I just want to give a public thanks to Sean for sending the o-rings.  They arrived today and I hope they do the trick.  (I also thanked him directly.)  Just want everybody to know what good folks are involved in sailing Catalinas.  I suppose you already figured that out on your own!
Mark Mueller
Blue Moon #815
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

horsemel

I promised an update on my leaking port.  Well, I took everybody's good adv ice, no sarcasm in that comment.  The advice is excellent.  I first replaced the o-rings.  The port still leaked.  I ordered and installed the seal around the window.  The port still leaked.  The leak seemed to be coming into the black thing (I think that is the technical term for the part) that the port latch fits into on the frame on the left side.  I removed the black thing and water poured out through the screw holes and the hole between the two screw holes.  My buddies and I concluded that this meant removing and rebedding the entire porthole.  We spent 2 hours removing and rebedding the porthole.  The port no longer leaked into the left side black thing.  Now it leaked into the right side black thing!!!  Fortunately I saved the diagram that came with the replacement window seal.  This featured a cutaway view of the port extrusion.  The extrusion is hollow and the bedding screw and screws for the black thing screw into this void.  We figured out that the water was getting into the void via the rubber expansion joints on either side of the outside frame.  Our solution was to put additional sealant on the black things and put sealant over the expansion joints on the outside.  The port stopped leaking.  I am going to see whether it leak the rest of this summer.  If it does I will have to replace the entire porthole.  My only concern is if water gets into the void of the frame and freezes over the winter.  I may crack the frame, which means I need a new porthole.  I may replace the porthole anyway to avoid this, but right now I intend to enjoy some summer sailing and stop messing with the damned port!  It is amazing how a few drops of water can take up so much time and intellectual pondering.
Horsemel
Blue Moon #815 
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815