1987 Tall Mast / Wing Keel Draft?

Previous topic - Next topic

scituate

The boat that I'm buying (cross your fingers for a good survey on Sunday morning...) has is a 1987 Catalina 34 with a tall mast and the wing keel ... The Yachtworld listing list the draft as 4'8" but isn't it supposed to be 3'11"?

Stu Jackson

Urban Myth #69!  It's 3-11, but whn heeled it's 4-3 which most people "use", so maybe it's a simple typo of 4-8 instead of 4-3.  The fin keel is 5-7, so that's definitely lots deeper.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve McGill

A little more confusion to the myth and my understanding.

In 1986 Catalina offered the standard draft at 5'7", and a shoal draft of 4'8" (not wing)
In 1987 (not sure what model year) they offered the standard draft at 5'7" and a shoal (wing) and 4'3"

Remember, whatever you have the bottom is your enemy!

Enjoy.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Rick Johnson

I was 5'7", But when I'm heeled I'm only 5'5"...  Rule One - Rocks Bad, Rule Two - Damp side down, Rule Three - The wind is your friend.
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Terry Forshier

A few years ago when I was thinking of purchasing my 1988 c34 with a wing keel I asked the Catalina Factory to look up my hull # 740 and tell me what the draft is. It was advertised in the original brochure as 3'10''. the present owner at that time said he thought it was more like 4' 3". Catalina personnel told me that all the hulls were and still are made from the same pattern. He sent me a copy of the original factory order and said That the original design concept and drawings were for the draft to be 3' 10" however, the boat settled in at the 4'3" draft and they are ALL more or less that draft. (for whatever that is worth)  Again, this from the Catalina factory and no one there indicated a variance when healed to give the higher (or lower) figure however you may want to regard the 4'3" vs the 3' 10"

Terry Forshier

Ron Hill

Scut : The design goal was 3' 10" which was not met!!  The new flyer's state 4' 3", but the C34 loaded for cruising (fuel, water, food & stuff ) is closer to 4'5" draft.  Hopes this helps. 
Ron, Apache #788