Shaft movement.

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

I am in the process of getting the boat ready for launch and today I cleaned the prop and shaft but noticed a little bit of play or side to side movement within the strut.  The movement if measured would probably amount to a hundreth of an inch which I figure is normal but wanted to check with the experts.  I would think that if there was no play at all the shaft would not be able to turn; am a I correct?
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

foursailing

David - a little play in the shaft is normal - hundreth of an inch is very small and would be more than acceptable.

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Ken Juul

The last time  I checked mine I had what can be described as movement.  I asked around, couple owners voluntered that they had just had theirs checked by experts and were ok.  I gave them a shake and would estimate they both had at least an 1/8-1/4" inch play.  I'll change mine if it even gets close to that.  At an estimated 100th you have quite a while before you need to change it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

David : On a new cutless bearing you should have no play. It will stay that way for a years depending on your engine/shaft alignment and engine hours run each year. 
The biggest wear factor on your cutless bearing is that alignment.  That's why people go to a "flexable coupling" and reduce that wear.  A thought    :D 
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Sayian

I have also heard that locking the shaft in reverse while sailing will reduce wear on the cutlass.  I have a feathering prop so that's no problem, but I wonder about people whio have fixed blade props?
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ron Hill

Steve : I've never heard that. 
I would say that sailing with the transmission in neutral (like most racers with a fixed prop do) would tend to wear the cutless bearing, not having it locked in reverse !!  My openion.
Ron, Apache #788

tonywright

Ron, I think that you and Steve are in violent agreement!  Locking in reverse is the manufacturer's recommendation.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve S.

Even with a folding prop, I believe its best to lock the transmission in reverse.  It helps ensure the prop folds. I have found in light winds that a folding prop sometimes won't fold and the shaft will still turn.   
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Tony : You are correct, Steve and I are saying the same thing.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788