Sail plan

Previous topic - Next topic

ron kash

I'm talking to hong kong sailmakers and their asking me for the Tack offset and outhaul cutup. I don't have the mast up and I don't have sails.
Another question was foot fittings are their any?
Any help would be appreciated.
r.kash@att.net
Ron kash
Rondevous #315

c34member

I can tell you what they are describing but I don't have the measurements handy.  The tack offset refers to the sail grommet where the boom meets the mast.  Measure the pin on the boom for how high off the boom it's center is, and also how far back from the mast.  The outhaul cutup dosn't matter unless you have an outhaul car that rides on top of the boom and which the sail attaches directly to.  Most 34's just attach with a shackle at the clew.  So, measure the depth of the shackle.

Enjoy the new sails!

dave davis

Nice answer to the guestions, Charlie. There was one more guestion about the "foot fittings". I wonder if he has to let the sail maker know if he wants it loose footed or slides/slugs or a bolt-rope. Most of the catalina mains come with a bolt-rope along the foot.You might want to tell the sailmaker that the "E" dim. is 12 feet.
 That's the problem trying to deal with an offshore loft. Good luck!!!
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Ron kash

Thanks guys. I guess they had the information but wanted me to conferm it. Anyhow, I wanted to buy local but it turns out that the ones I contacted buy from China anyhow, add a week to delivery and double the price, in one case tripple.
   I guess I'll find out in 3 weeks if it was worth the trouble.