Portlight gasket deal

Previous topic - Next topic

dpenz

In the spring of '99 I resolved to fix my leaking portlights, and ordered new gaskets.  Then it was one thing or another and the gasket job slipped down the priority list.  Last summer (two years later!) I said to myself, "I really need to replace those gaskets", and dove into the job.

It was then that I found out I had the wrong gaskets.  BoatUS said "You gotta be kidding!" when I asked to exchange them.  So I ordered another batch of gaskets and now my cabin is dry again.

Anybody need six portlight gaskets?  These are Lewmar #360 759 999, size 1 (frame outside dimensions about 7.5" x 14.5").  The bead is about 3/8" cross section diameter.  They are purported to fit a "new style" portlight, whereas evidently I have an "old style" portlight, which uses a smaller cross section gasket (bead about 1/4").  I don't know when the style changed, but your boat would likely need to be newer than 1988 to use these.

They're worth about $140, but no good to me, so make me a monetary offer or maybe you've got something equally useless or surplus to trade.  Replies off list, please:  dlpenz@mindspring.com

BMHoch

Dave
I am looking to replace the gaskets on my '88 C34 as well.  The extra ones that you now have will probably not fit my boat either.  How did you know what gaskets to order from Lewmar?
Thanks
Bruce Hoch

dpenz

Bruce,
I sure wish I could find the paperwork for the new seals.  You'll have to call Lewmar in Gilford, CT: 800-362-7212 or 203-458-6200.  In late 1998 I spoke with an Alex Robertson.

Tell them "Size 1", "old style", and they should be able to tell you the part number for the replacement seal.

Then call BoatUS Special Order Desk with that part number, and they will quote price and delivery.  Ordinary schmoes can't buy from Lewmar, you have to go through a dealer.

David