Swim Ladder

Previous topic - Next topic

stanley ross

1983 C34; I wish to extend the depth of the stern mounted swim ladder so that the first rung is deeper beneath the surface of the water by about 6 inchs(when the ladder is dropped). My plan is to lower the position of the ladder so that the “rubber crutch tipped supports” are just above the edge of the transom. I also plan to add a folding step at the origional height of the top rung. Has anyone made this improvement? I am open to all suggestions.

[This message was edited by sj ross on March 18, 2002 at 04:24 PM.]

Stu Jackson

Stanley

You may be familiar with this already:  Al Watson did just what you described.  You can find it, pictures and all, on the C34 Project page, with a link to Capt'n Al's page.

In lieu of doing all that work, we bought a Johnson Marine ladder extender, one rung.  It's white, and clips easily onto the bottom rung of the existing ladder and gives us the "one step underwater" that's missing.  It works just fine for us, although I sure wish I had wherewithal to do the teak steps on the ladder rungs.  I did buy the plastic inserts, but they sure are ugly, so haven't installed them yet.  Maybe this summer when we're in warmer water for a cruise.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mvazmina

A word of warning on the swim ladder. If you get the extension make sure  and fasten it on. I have a small piece of line holding it. The clips have a tendency to fall off.

Also be cautious of the plastic steps. I have had 2 sets and they have a tendency to twist when weight is put on the edges. My wife fell when step gave and hurt her leg. Putting the bolts through the ladder rung will stop this. I have made new steps from starboard and that will fit around the side rail and hold into palce. I also plan on putting the bolts throught the rung.

Stu Jackson

The boat step I mentioned is available from BoatUS, 2002 catalog, page 243, Item # 158115, Add-A-Step Boat Step, $24.99.    They also have additional extension pieces.  Color is white.  It's not made by Johnson.  The two stainless steel screws are to install the tread on the riser sides of the ladder, not to attach the ladder to the existing bottom rung swim step.  They just clip onto the bottom rung, with a bit of manual pressure, and will stay on, but also they are easy to get off.  Mike's idea to attach them with a short piece of line is a good one.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."