Boom Outhaul & Tom S's C36 Electrical Panel Re-wiring Link

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Finally got the end caps off without any wounds like the last time a few years ago when I put a screw driver thru my thumb. Anyhow, I know there have been some projects and drawings showing how its done. I'd like to keep the wire outhaul with the rope at the front end of the boom but with increased purchase since I have a loose footed sail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Craig Illman

Stu Jackson

Check the Knowledgebase, it's there.  A search on "outhaul" should also pop up my post with Dave Davis' sketches of three different arrangements.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

The search on "outhaul" finds a topic "Jammed Outhaul" with the pictures I mentioned above.  See: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3630.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Denest

Quote from: Craig Illman on January 20, 2008, 12:28:36 PM
See Tom Soko's upgrade:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4288188659&code=13911531&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

Craig

I checked out Tom's picture album (which, by the way is going to disappear) and saw the pictures of his electrical upgrades on his C36.  He referred to the May 2004 Mainsheet article covering his upgrades.  Is it possible to get back issues of the magazine?

Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

Mike : You can get a copy by contacting Tom.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

Cannot get Tom's contact info. Any idea what his e mail is. I am doing his outhaul upgrade, I ordered the parts  but the line he is using looks greater than 1/4" inch.  Any idea on that? Thanks

Craig Illman

Cliff -

He's usually monitoring our forum, even though he's the C36 Commodore. tjsoko@aol.com (From the "Ask the Commodore" hyperlink on the C36 site). I can't remember what size line I used when I did my outhaul. The heat-melted end just fits through my Spinlock Powercleat PX0308 on the cabintop, so it might be 5/16".

Craig

crieders

5/16 is the max size Garhauer recommends for their series 20 blocks that I purchased so that might be right.

Tom Soko

Mike and Craig,
Sorry I've been away from the postings for a while.  I chatted with Cliff and I hope he's all set.  Have no fear, the pictures will not go away.  Even thought the imagestation website is closing soon, I have already moved all the photos and descriptions to Shutterfly.com.  The link is on the C36 website under Articles > Upgrades, but here it is also for easy reference:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1AasmrRk0cMXFg&notag=1
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Craig Illman

Cliff - I was up to the boat this afternoon working on winter projects. My outhaul line is 1/4".

Tom - Thanks for the updated URL.

Craig

Bob K

I am curious if anybody has any recommendation for the type of line to use for the outhaul.  I assume differences in material / weave will affect how well the line lies without kinking.  (My outhaul stopped working due to severe kinking and twisting of the line within the boom).  The C34 owner's manual specifies Dacron line for the outhaul - this is a trade name for a type of Polyester, but that is about all I know.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Bob : I had the same problem back 15+ years ago.  Have to dust off the memory and here's what I recall:
The line wasn't the problem!  It should be 1/4" braid on braid polyester (Dacron).

On the inside of the boom you have two blocks.  The one block attached to the stainless cable going aft should be a swiveling block.  However the block attached to the goose neck fixture should be a fixed nonswiviling block.  "As I recall" my block at the goose neck was swiveling and had turned a couple of times so the line and block were twisted around - causing the binding. 
Also when you relieve the tension on the outhaul - do it gradually to help prevent the line from twisting.

Sure is a bear trying to remember back then.  Guess the people born after the "30s" were given more RAM than my 32K!!   :oops:   
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

Ron for whats its worth Guedo at Garhauer says both blocks should be nonswivel and 5/16 inch line. Now you have me thinking I should return the one block. Why would you want the one to swivel? Thanks for the input.

dave davis

Sounds like you are getting lots of help about the lines and blocks. Good stuff.
I would like to add two thoughts that gave me a bad time when I was replacing the ourhaul.
1. I had a very hard time getting the boom back to line up with the goosneck casting. The rigid boom vang has to be set just right so the fit lines up with the screw holes. In order to get both fittings to line up, you should tie the boom vang nice and tight so that it will not move when you disconnect the boom from the goosneck. You may have to release the vang if you did not tie it in place. Of coerce, this does not apply if you are not using a rigid vang.

2. Whatever line you use for the aft end (1/4-5/16), make sure you do not use the high tech non- stretch line that does not have a protective sun coating. The sun got to my outhall and it just ruined it in the first few years. My boom cover was not quite long enough to protect the overhang at the clew end.
Good Luck, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach