Black Bilge Water -continued

Previous topic - Next topic

Analgesic

Since our recent discussion I have removed my Aqualift Muffler.  Several problems identified-the petcock drain was clearly corroded with part missing, mine doesn't look like pictures of others I have seen.  Also, I didn't have a hump hose described elsewhere but rather a straight black fairly rigid hose to the muffler intake making removal very difficult.  The muffler intake was a little soft at the top, easily compressed with finger pressure, firm but with a surface defect visible just above the box.  The black inlet hose which fit snugly to the exhaust outlet above is clearly a size too large for the muffler inlet below.  There is evidence of slight leak around this inlet site/clamp and the hose was squeezed tightly by  the clamp aroud a stack of rubber O-rings to keep it snug.  No leak was found around the muffler flange at the base. 
So, I'm wondering what's the best approach?  The petcock replacement is obvious but the soft top of the muffler inlet along with a hose mismatch is concerning.  Has Catalina made mufflers with different inlet sizes?  I wonder if a prior owner bought a size too small and jury rigged it.  I
If replacement is the best option,  I saw a new Aqualift muffler from Catalina is about $250 with Centek Vernalift mufflers advertised on the web for less than half.   I'd appreciate any thoughts/guidance again.  Thanks
Brian McPhillips
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Footloose

When replacing my hump hose last year I found that the inlet, on the muffler, was broken due to overtightening the hose clamp.  I was alble to get the pieces back into shape.  I repaired it by sanding off the gelcoat and wrapping several layers of fibergalss tape around it.  I cut tabs in the tape so that it went out on the top of the muffler box.  I think I used 3 inch tape.  My hump hose was a little snug fitting after this, but no leaks and since I had the tape and epoxy, no addition boating units were consumed.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Brian : You have a couple of options:
You can repair the muffler and replace the petcock.  Then sand the top, add some fiberglass and strenghten the "soft spot".  There is no pressure (to speak of) inside that muffler.  It's hard to understand how that inlet got enlarged??? - as I'm sure that it didn't come from the factory that way!!  You could wrap some fabric (fiberglass), which would strengthen and get the size of the inlet back to 1 5/8".

You could get a new muffler.  I'd go with Catalina direct replacement for 2 reasons.  First it'll fit in the same space and 2. It will have the correct back pressure for the engine.

Look in projects/Mainsheet tech notes and you'll see my muffler replacement back in 1999. 
A few thoughts.   :wink:

Ron, Apache #788