12v Nav Table Outlet

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Having one of those senior moments.  I have a 12v portable fridge that plugs into the 12v outlet at the Navsta.  I can't remember if I unplugged it.  I do know that I turned the Battery switch to off.  So the question, Is the 12v outlet hot all the time or controlled by the Battery switch?   Looked at the manual, it is not detailed enough. 

Praying I won't have dead batteries this weekend!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Maybe...bet that sure helps!

But really, the ONLY way that it could be wired directly to the batteries is if the factory did it, and it would take either of two things:  1) a long wire from the outlet/plug to the house bank - I don't think Catalina wold do that, since it costs $  :D or 2) have the plug wired to one of the hot posts of the 1-2-B switch which electrically is just like connecting it to the battery, and the money here says they didn't do that either because they wouldn't know which was the house bank because they installed only 2 big batteries that were equal.

I hope you're safe, I hope I'm right.

Good luck, and let us know.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

The wiring on mine may have been modified by the PO, but mine was wire into the switch.  So off is off...  The only thing that makes me question this is that a second 12 volt plug at the corner of the settee was wired directly into the batteries and I doubt the factory did that...

Good Luck...
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Craig Illman

Ken & Stu - Another maybe...... It could be live to the battery, just like the bilge pump if it was wired at the 1-2-all switch on the "hot" side instead of the "common" side. I just had to replace mine, it's on the common side with a fuse inline.

Craig

Jim Price

One question and a 1000 answers.  Mine is tied into the Accessory breaker on the panel.  I know because my cell phone would not charge recently even though DC was on.  If I had been listening to the XM satellite radio, I would have never know it as that is what I thought was the only item on that breaker.   :?
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ron Hill

Ken : The question is simple?  "Which side of the battery switch did you get 12Vs for the refrig. from"???  You're the only one that can answer that!!.    :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

My senior moment was all in my mind.....I did remember to unplug the fridge.  All is well.  I tested the 12v outlet, at least on mine it is controlled by the battery switch.  I haven't found where previous owners have played with the wiring so I guess that is how Catalina wired it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

That's good news.  It could be, however, that earlier boats MAY have had their outlets installed and wired by either the owners or the dealers, since I have seen a remarkable diversity of the locations of the "built-ins" like the lighter outlet, the VHF radios, etc, on earlier boats.  Rather than assuming that it is wired that way, it's a simple thing to check when you're at the boat next time.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : Stu is correct, you need to check you circuits and determine which side of the switch that outlet is wired into
I have never seen a MKI that had a factory wired 12v plug.  Not too sure if even the first MKIIs had that luxury!! 
Remember the early C34s came with out sails!!!! That was an option!    :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788