Windlass Recommendations and Tips

Previous topic - Next topic

GW Oliver

I'm looking to install a Windlass on my C34 and am looking for information. Looking around the marina's and publications, I haven't really found much on this subject. Reviews on such models as the Horizon and Goode have not been very favorable. Installations also seem puzzling, as the few I've noticed on other models have them installed aft of the anchor locker door and some are directly on top of the doors. I'm currently using a 9/16 rode and 5/16 chain on my anchor today.
   If anyone knows of a good model, deck location and other installation tips on this topic I'm listening. My preference at this point is electric, as I don't see a manual windlass much of an advantage over pulling the rode by hand.

cholder

I'm presuming you have an older boat that didn't come with any kind of windlass.  That was the case with my 1988 #617 C34.

After much agonising I chose a Lofrans vertical windlass driven by a 1000W motor.  The windlass has a chain and rope gypsy and a rope drum. The unti is installed through the deck aft of the anchor locker with the motor in the forward cabin.  The windlass has an integral hawse hole that I cut off to allow the chain to go further foreward and I protected the deck with a bent piece of 3/16" stainless steel.  The portion of this protector in the locker has guide to keep the chain feeding correctly.

One can buy round based powered Anchorman windlass and a similar Muir windlass that wouldn't have to be modified but they're much more expensive.

I removed the forstay fitting and cut off the old anchor bow roller to allow room for a new larger bow roller on the starboard side.  It has a metal U shape part that extends back to the front edge of the anchor locker hatch.  I've a piece of stainless steel to cit onto the locker lid to protect the glass but haven't had time to install it.

You will have to run 3/0 or larger power cables to the windlass.  These are the size of your ring finger so they're a bit of a fight but I did the work myself so it's not beyond a skilled amateur.  The cables were run aong  starboard side under the edge of the deck.  The breaker is just above the garbage can.

More details if you want.

jentine

Look at a new Catalina.  Their installation is very nice.  They use a Maxwell VC800 mounted to the bulkhead in the anchor locker and protruding through the cover.  Were I to install this in such a fashion, I would position a battery in close proximity to the windlass.  It is much easier to run two small wires to charge the battery than to run 00 or 000 wire and the cost is considerably less.
Good luck.  :)
Jim Kane

Mike Smith

The money I spent on my electric windlass is the best investment I ever made!  I responded to a Catalina owner in Austrailia last year on this topic.  I have digital pictures of the installation which I will send you if you wish.  (I probably should sumit this as a project to Dave Smith!)

Mike