Quick question -- minimum drying time between coats of bottom paint

Previous topic - Next topic

wind dancer

I've finished my work on Wind Dancer and have an opportunity to get her back in the water later this afternoon (which is good timing as a good size wind storm is predicted for tomorrow).  I finished painting the bottom Sunday, but have a couple areas to touch up before lauch -- the bottom of the keel, which has been on a block, and the rudder.  At lunch today, I sanded down my epoxy patches on the rudder (I had drilled holes to drain water), and put a quick coat of West Marine CPP+ (a soft ablative paint) on the areas I sanded.  Is three hours long enough drying time between coats?

Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

canuck

By the time you read this you will have the boat in the water or will not have the boat in the water. What does the manufacturer say on the can?
I use Petit Premium Line... wait 3 hours between coats and wait at least 4 hours before launching.
Good luck!

Stu Jackson

Many of us experience yard workers doing the bottom job.  My experience is that they slap on as much as they can to cover the cradle patches and the bottom of the keel just before the splash the boat.  This is because they rarely move the cradles to paint those patches, and certainly don't lift the boat with the travel lift to get under the keel.  The lift comes, they remove the cradles, and paint.  Sometimes they even miss the bottom of the keel!

Other than that, checking the instructions on the can is a good idea.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jay : I always try to get the yard to make me the last lift of the day.  Then I can stay in the straps of the travel lift overnight to let the paint dry over night and go in the first thing the next morning. 
That gives the underside of the wing and the pad marks over 12 hours to dry.   
A thought   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

wind dancer

I painted and splashed.  Realized that I had made a mistake to have the stands moved last weekend.  All that did was take new paint off when they were removed today and I had to paint that part again.  Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks for the advice, guys, I appreciate it.   :thumb:
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Jack Hutteball

I follow the drying time between coats as recommended by the paint manufacturer.  I am fortunate here in Anacortes, as the yard moves the pads after the second coat is dry and then I paint that area with a heavy coat and schedule the splash for the next morning.  All I have left is a little dab in two places on the bottom of the keel.  Can not see any difference where the pads were painted with one heavy coat when I repaint the next time.  Works good for me.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington