Replace the Water Heater

Previous topic - Next topic

fbien

On my 1986 c34 "Moose" the water heater is rusted-through and looks ready to fail.  I read several notes on this web site on the topic.  I have a couple questions for anyone who has done it:

1-I have a round water heater now with hot/cold on the top and engine exchange on the side.  Was this standard for the first year?  Anything to look out for?  

2-Will I need major re-plumb if I replace with a square seaward 6gal?  Should I get front or back connections?

3-How do I get the frame of the door off?  I know I need to get it off -- is it attached with adhesive?  I don't see any screws, etc., on the inside?? Any tricks?

Any other suggestions? Replacement model numbers, etc.  I think I'm going to stay with a water heater instead of an "instant" electric unit.

-fb

Ken Juul

I replaced mine last spring.  I have the square seward.  Engine hot water on one side, the other water connections on the opposite side by the cabinet door.  To get the frame off, look closely you will find 4 (if memory serves me) round plugs covering the screws that hold the frame to the cabinet.  I haven't read anywhere of a way to remove them with out damaging the plug or the wood around the plug.  So the best way to carefully drill out the  center of the plug.  When you back the screw out, it is a phillips head, the rest of the plug will come with it. After the door/frame is off it is pretty straight forward to pull the old one out and put the new one in.  You may have to lengthen the hoses to reach the new side attachments.  Think I would replace the whole hose, rather than splice.  Replacement wood plugs are available at most marine stores.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Dionysus

Frank.  Ihave a 1986, hull # 218.  Replaced my water heater 3 years ago using the Raritan 1700.  The size and fit is almost a perfect match and the job was easy.  I DID NOT have to remove the sided door, but I did drill out the plugs and remove the drawer frame in front (you''' have to).  You do have to remove the sink by separating it with a putty knife.  ANd yes replace all the hoses while your there.  I also put in a dock water connection inside the port winch handle pocket and ran a hose with pressure reducer in line so I don't fill my tanks unless I go out.  Good luck (not hard job)

Chris

chp