Mast Height On Mk I Standard Rig

Previous topic - Next topic

kntclark

Has anybody actually measured the height of their mast above the water?  I have seen several references that say the mast height id 49'7", but my owner's manual says that is the length of the spar.  Since the mast on my 1990 standard rig is keel-stepped, the height above the water should be a little less than the length of the spar.  I'd like to know if I can make it under a 49' bridge.

I did go up the mast and measure to the top of the masthead light and I got 48'2" above the water.  How does that compare with any other measurements?  That also doesn't count in the VHF antenna, wind instruments, etc.

Terry Clark
Yet To Be #1095

Jeff

Have hull # 1102. Haven't measured, but agree at least 12" below water line. If we trust factory length, another approach I thought about is to establish water line via head sink drain hose, then subtract from 49 7.

Stu Jackson

I believe this one is pretty simple:  using the I, J, P, E dimensions on the BROUCHURES section of the website, you can determine the height of the mast from the boom.  Then measure from your boom height to your waterline physically.  Add the two, plus the stuff you have on the top of your mast, and bingo.

I figure 55 feet on our boat.  49 wouldn't cut it, but I'm starting some correspondence with folks in the west coast of Florida who go through the Okeechobee Waterway with a 49 fixed bridge on their way to the Bahamas every year.  Either they tilt their boats in some dramatic fashion, or the bridge takes a gulp of air when they come through.  I'm also working on the dimensions under the waterline for that particular trip.

Best regards,  

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."