White smoke from exhaust

Previous topic - Next topic

foursailing

I noticed the other day a fair amount of what looked like white smoke coming from the exhaust - appeared like the higher the rev, the greater amount of smoke.

The engine temp was fine and had only been running for a short while.  When I returned to the mooring, I put the boat in neutral and brought it up to about 2200 rpm and could not detect any smoke.

I did notice a similar occurrence a couple of weeks back - after it was running for a while it seemed to go away.

I looked at some related posts which hinted at poor waterflow / intake clogged which is not the case.  Thouhgt it might be related to a fouled prop (end of season / hasn't been cleaned) - but the smoke appears to be white - not black as you might expect with unspent diesel.

Engine has 275 hours.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Larry Robertie

Gennerally speaking white smoke is from condensation.  That would make sense at the end of the season, or on a lightly used engine.  Not much to worry about, unless you start to see blue or black.
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

Bill : Just like your auto exhaust in the winter - watch your outside temp/humidity.  When it's low you'll probably see some white exhaust. 
Ron, Apache #788

Wayne

I noticed smoke about this time last year.  Other guys passed along that if it was white and dissipated quickly it was just steam as a result of hot exhaust mixing with water.  If it was grey or blue, and hung over the water, well that was bad news.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

foursailing

Great!  Thanks guys, one less thing to worry about.

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Terry Forshier

White smoke always meant some water in the fuel. At least it did around here. (Fl hot year round) I would check the filter and see if it is full.

foursailing

Thanks Terry - but if water were to get through the filters I think the result would be a lot worse than white smoke from the exhaust?
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Steve S.

It's really not too much to worry about.  One cause could be that your running the engine to close to top RPM.  The 25's run best at about 80-85% of capacity.  Just ease off the throttle a touch and see if the smoke stops.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Guys : When you run at extremely hi RPM, you should see blue/black smoke coming out of the exhaust.  It's the color of unburnt extra fuel.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788