Rigid Vang Re-visited

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkar

Hi, hope y'all can help.  I did a search on "rigid vang" here and got 7 returns.  None were exactly what I was looking for.  This is what I need help on.

1987 Catalina 34, upgrading to a rigid/solid vang.

Question:
1.  Garhauer v. Forespar, Hall, Harken?  I like the price on the Garhauer ($270 v. $700+) but have no feedback on it, my points of reference all have one of the others.

2.  Garhauer seems to require some sort of mast base block led back to a cleat whereas the others have the cleat built into the bottom block, so it it nice and tidy all on the vang.  Can the Garhauer be fitted this way? Anyone try?

3.  How is the tackle on the Garhauer?  It looks like their new blocks?  Is it an 8:1 or higher?

I am not really interested in re-working the main traveller system just to add a vang, but the price is still right with the Garhauer.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

Joel

dave davis

Joel, if I understand what you are saying, you want to have a cleat at the base near the bottom of the mast. Is that realy what you wish to do? That means that you will have to go forward in order to change the tension on the vang or have enough space in the companion way to opporate it from the pit. Thats probably how you handled the old soft vang. Think new, lead it back. But if that is what you wish, call Garhauer and talk to Quido. He will give you what you want. He's very accomodating. The purchace in the Vang is 20:1 and works great. Good luck
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Jkar

Dave, thanks right on the money.  I do want to cleat it like the old soft vang/new Hall/Harken/Forespar.  I am not worried about leading it back because the adjustments are made by the "boom" person, they have three jobs, loosent the outhaul, crank the vang and keep an eye out back for me.  I will talk to Quido.

Ron, yes to you as well.  Maybe if I could see a picture of your setup.  Currently the mainsheet is stock setup running along the boom forward, down to the block at the mast base and back to the clam.  I am trying to picture how you have it exiting now.  Thanks.

Joel
jkar@it.rjf.com

Ted Pounds

I think Ron modified his mainsheet like mine.  Instead of running along the boom and turning at a block at the the gooseneck to the base of the mast we eliminated the block at the gooseneck and ran it straight to the base of the mast.  So it now runs from the last mid-boom block more or less parallel to the vang to the base of the mast.  If this is still confusing hopefully Ron can send a photo.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

A complete description of the rigging for the lines with a rigid vang is included on what is now page 3 of this message board, subject is "Rigid Boom Vang," from Karista.

The answers written there detail the running of the lines and the rerouting of the mainsheet parallel to the vang from the boom to the deck, with a larger bail on the boom.

I understand the concept of a "boom man," but you may want to reconsider and have the vang line led aft to the cockpit.  It's safer, can be used with reduced crew, and the position would still allow crew to look aft.  Seems the crew working the jib sheets, or the mainsheet trimmer, could perform that function.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."